Sponsored by:

New tires for my 89 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 02:29 AM
clubted
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New tires for my 89 Carrera

I just bought a wonderful 89 Carrera, my first 911 after couple of 356's. The car is completely original with the 16" Fuchs, which I like. What tires are currently recommended? The Bridgestones seem pretty popular on other cars advertised for sale. I live in Southern Calif, don't drive this car in rain, don't race, and probably won't drive more than 5k per year. Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:58 AM
Kaz
Three Wheelin'

Check out the G Force tires or the Bridgestone SO2's. I have a set of G Force up front on my 928S4 but they are pricey. I went for a set of 17" Kuhmo's in the rear and got both for less than the price of one G Force.

K
Old 10-24-2001, 11:32 PM
Dean
Instructor

Hi
I have Dunlop SP8000 on my street driven 911SC. They are a good value tire.
Enjoy your car
Dean
Old 10-27-2001, 11:44 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

I own a 951, but a good tire is a good tire. I had Yokahama AVS Intermediates on my last car (1st Gen Integra). I'm running Dunlop SP8000's on my 951. Both of these tires are EXTREMELY close in performance, and I go back and forth in my mind trying to decide which are better, sometimes wondering if I should have stuck w/the AVS, and sometimes thinking the SP8ks are better- either way they're both great, AND, are both being discontinued, or, so the rumor has it. Therefore, they are EXTREMELY cheap now- have been for almost 2 years. I bought my SP 8k's (225/50/16 & 245/45/16) for just under $400 including S&H from Tire Rack 1 1/2 years ago- they should be cheaper now, and the AVS and SP8k's seem to trade off on which is cheaper, but are almost even. Also, for the record, I've NEVER gotten over 21k or 22k out of any tire I've ever run before (average about 20k)- it looks like these should last about 30k (at least 25k) at this rate...

HOWEVER, if you ONLY put about 5k/year on your car, and don't plan to drive in the rain, live in CA, etc, you may want to spend some more $$$ and get Pirelli P-Zero's or Michellin Pilot's (not sure which Pilot's but whatever's stickiest). I'd probably go w/them or the P-Z's if $$$ were liquid OR, if I drove as little as you plan do. Go to: www.tirerack.com
The have tests on many tires, so you can compare. I was considering the SP9k for my next tire, but the test I saw b/t them, the SP8k, and another(?), showed them not to be any stickier, and that the SP8k was a better performance tire(?!), AND, is also much cheaper! Those Tire Rack tests can really help out. Another tire I want to check out is the Yok AVS Sport... Lot's of good choices out there...

Good luck,
Robby

Quick Reply: New tires for my 89 Carrera