Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of p-zero rosso's in 17" for my 928....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Fletcher
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Thinking of p-zero rosso's in 17" for my 928....

Anyone used these? I have heard mixed responses about other pirelli tires. I have never really bought pirelli before it's mostly been yokohama.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated..
Old 04-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
I've heard the Rosso tires are pretty popular with 911s in Europe, but I can't say I've been very happy with any Pirelli tire I ever had.

How about the Bridgestone S-03? I have them on my 944S2 in 17" size and they are quite good, easily the best tire I've had. If you compare the owner survey results for the S-03 to the Rosso at Tirerack you'll see the Rosso ranks quite a bit lower. Of course, these ratings are all subjective so probably aren't worth a whole lot. Still... if people loved the Rosso you'd think they'd say so.

The Michelin Pilot Sport would also work quite well and may ride better than the S-03. They do cost a bit more however.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:03 PM
Fletcher
Racer

That's why I thought the rosso's would be better, for ride quality and noise. The owner surveys I read seem to like the rosso's ok. I have heard great things about the s03's but they are reputed to be harsh. I really want to enjoy this car for weekend trips. I really hate noisy harsh tires.
Old 04-21-2002, 02:02 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by fletch:
<strong>That's why I thought the rosso's would be better, for ride quality and noise.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes, the Rosso is better than any older design Pirelli in both ride quality and noise but that's about it. If you want dry performance you've got to stay away from any one of these modern tires. They are designed to work better with the newer more sophisticated suspension systems and stiffer chassis.
Old 04-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
I would agree that the S-03 is not the best riding tire (on my car), but I think it all depends on what car they are on and with what suspension. My S2 has coilover rear shocks with spherical bearings and camber plates up front, also with spherical bearings, so just about any tire is going to seem harsh at times with my stiff suspension. My previous tires were Michelin MXX3s and they were very harsh and noisy on any type of concrete. I thought the S-03 would be better... but they really aren't.

By contrast, my son has 17" MXX3s on his stock suspension 1989 944 Turbo and they are fine on his car.

I know that the Michelin Pilot Sport rides a lot better than the MXX3 because a good friend of mine had both his his S2. I can't say whether the Sport would be better than the S-03. The Tirerack's owner surveys says it wouldn't. Prices on the S-03s are very good now. I paid close to $1000 for my set last summer and now they are just over $700.
Old 04-22-2002, 12:17 AM
icat
Race Car

I just had SO3's put on my 951. To new to give much of a recomendation, but they look awsome! I think the ride is much better than the Dunlops they replaced - but they were pretty much worn out, so I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison.

Quick Reply: Thinking of p-zero rosso's in 17" for my 928....