Sponsored by:

opinions on Dymag wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 09:15 PM
DaveW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post opinions on Dymag wheels?

Hi i'm thinking of a set of Dymag magnesium wheels for my 928 S2. anyone got any experience with them?

Cheers
DaveW
Old 12-15-2001, 10:20 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, they're really not that lightweight.
Old 12-17-2001, 03:04 PM
DaveW
Racer

Hi Danno,

Thats a surprise, I would have expected them to be lighter. I have dug up a few wheel weights as a guide (but not for the specific sizes I am thinking of):

BBS 17x8 21.5lbs
Superlegerra 17x7 15.2lbs
Dymag 17x8 12.9lbs

So okay theyre not half the weight or anything, but they are the lightest I have seen. My main concern was how delicate they would be. Does the emphasis on low weight compromise their strength. This worries me because of the bulk of a 928, which most certainly isn't lightweight!

Cheers
Dave
Old 12-19-2001, 03:54 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I was thinking of the RUF mag wheels, which are in the 20lb range. Dymag as been really popular with the Corvette crowd in SCCA showroom-stock racing a few years back. The only other mag. wheels I'm familiar with are Campagnolo (Ferrari), Technomagnesio (now MIM), Speedline.

Wow, 12.9lbs is light!
Old 01-18-2002, 09:17 AM
George Stevens
Racer

A word of warning with Magnesium wheels

I have the original Mag Cups fitted to my RS and the finish has really deteriorated through the winter (the salt on UK roads is a killer)they now have to be refurbished for the third time!!!!

I am now only going to use them in the summer months

My pal has an elise with Dymags and after a year his are looking really bad

Why put Magnesium wheels on a heavy car like a 928, I would 993 cups, they are much more robust.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:31 PM
DaveW
Racer

Hi George, it's nice to see another posting from the UK!

Good point about the salt on the roads. I hadn't expected the effect would be enough to trash the finish over one winter. I will have to think about that!

I was thinking of mags for the same reason anyone would - better overall performance. I need bigger wheels to be able to fit bigger brakes and as larger wheels tend to be heavier I am looking at ways of minimising the increase in unsprung weight. By using Dymags I can keep the unsprung weight more or less the same and so not mess with the cars handling. I intend to do a fair bit of work to the car over the next few years so I want to make sure that the first components I add will be up to the job.

As far as the weight of the 928 goes I have only recently found out a few numbers and it's not quite as lardy as is ofter portrayed. The later cars like the S4 and GTS did creep up to weigh over 3600lbs but my S2 weighs in at 3308lbs stock. When you compare that with a 993 Turbo at 3307lbs a 993 at 3064 and a 996 at 2920lbs, its not too terrible!

Cheers
DaveW
Old 02-01-2002, 01:49 AM
ksc jc
Track Day

Hi Dave,
Have you look at the Volk Racing T37 forged
one piece wheel. They are very light & robust.
Are you sure that the Dynamag weighs only 12+
lbs. Did you actually weigh them ?

Quick Reply: opinions on Dymag wheels?