Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sports vs. Yoko Avs Sports....??

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2001, 08:07 AM
Iant
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do Kuhmo do a N rated tyre for the porsche?
Old 08-02-2001, 01:59 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Iant:
<STRONG>do Kuhmo do a N rated tyre for the porsche?</STRONG>
No, but you don't need N specification tires.
Old 08-22-2001, 04:28 PM
TVDAILY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put (17") Pilot Sports on my '86 928 S3 & it made a big difference---for a car known for road noise (& it had noise to spare on the Pirellis) it is very quiet & handling & ride are excellent. Little squirrly in the wet.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:27 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts
I run Michelin MXX3's on my 944 NA. They are great track tires. I spoke with the Michelin tech person at Parade in Milwaukee. She indicated that the new Pilot Sport is better in the wet (significantly), but had to sacrifice a very small amount of dry grip (added silica = better wet, decreased dry grip). The slip angles the tire will tolerate are also a bit bigger (leaves a bit more room for error, as the MXX3 at the track is about halfway to an R-compound tire).

I have no experience with the other brands, but the build quality on my Michelins is very good. Great turn in and directional stability. They ride hard (16" now), but who cares with stock springs?

The only real drawback is that they are kinda heavy carcasses (increases unsprung weight).

As always, pay A LOT of attention to your tires. Inspect them as often as you lovingly wash the car. You'd be surprised how often treads can split and stuff can cut tires (not good in cars that travel at these speeds).
Old 08-24-2001, 02:37 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
I too run the MXX3's (Hey dave, we're going to Gingerman wednesday, interested?) and am extremely satisfied.

Michelin is a sponsor of OneLap of America and provides rubber at a discount to particpants. The general consensus (and this covers a huge variety of machinery from custom Vipers to Nissan Altimas) is that the Pilot Sport doesn't come close to the MXX3's in the dry. Trounces the MXX3 in the rain, however. I can say for sure that the MXX3's have much better traction in the wet then my old all season meats but I wouldn't doubt the Pilot Sport would perform better in the wet at a track.

So if you wet track performance isn't a priority, I'll take an MXX3 any day or a Kumho Ecsta 712 for half the price.

-Hugh

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sports vs. Yoko Avs Sports....??