Tire valve question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 01:33 AM
Darlene_T
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tire valve question

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any input. I have a 98 Accord with only 30,000 km on it. Never had any problems with the car. I took the car for regular maintenance and drove the car straight home. The next day I went out and the back tire (Michelin) was completely flat. I took the car back to the dealer and at first they could find nothing wrong with the tire. Eventually they said the valve was leaking. The entire tire had to be replaced because it had a couple holes in the sidewall of the tire because it had been driven when flat. This means it was flat when I left the dealership as I only drove it home (about 20 km). I had heard a sound while driving but it sounded like driving on pebbles and didn't think to check the tire when I had just been at the dealer. At first they only agreed to take care of the $12 installation fee. Eventually they covered half the cost of the tire (I paid $82). They said only 1 tire needed to be replaced because of the low mileage.

Does anyone have any input on how common this is. They said valve leaks are very common and wouldn't have been caused by the regular maintenance and them checking the tire pressure. It's just hard to believe that this happened immediately after service and a $30 oil change ended up costing over $100. Any input is appreciated.

Darlene
Old 06-14-2003, 01:44 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Darlene,

First of all, this is a Porsche board, so don't expect a big load of sympathy for a $100 oil change. We should be so lucky... Anyway, I'm not a big believer in coincindences. They may have torn the rubber valve stem when checking the pressure, although a fairly new stem (its a new car, right?) is usually pretty durable. That's the best I can come up with.

Curious... how'd you end up posting on this board?
Old 06-14-2003, 09:04 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Technically, they didn't have to pay for any of your tire. You void the warranty on any tire when you drive on it flat, which you did.

The possibilities are endless for the cause of the flat tire. The valve could have been bad, or you could have ran over a nail as soon as you pull out into traffic.

It doesn't really sound like they did anything bad unless someone slashed your tire in the parking lot.

BTW, I work at a tire dealer.
Old 06-15-2003, 03:05 AM
Darlene_T
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

ca993twin - To answer your question, I just did a search for tire forums on the web so I do apologize because I honestly didn't realize that it was a Porsche board.

tim timmer - thanks for your help. I understand, I didn't feel they owed me for the tire being under warranty. I felt because the tire had been flat when I left the dealership that it wasn't entirely my fault that it was driven on flat. The service slip said "check tire pressure" It didn't occur to me to check for a flat in the parking lot of the dealership immediatley after maintenance. That is the only reason I felt that I was owed something.

Thanks again...
Old 06-15-2003, 03:25 PM
User 462021
Banned

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Darlene_T:
<strong>
tim timmer - thanks for your help. I understand, I didn't feel they owed me for the tire being under warranty. I felt because the tire had been flat when I left the dealership that it wasn't entirely my fault that it was driven on flat. The service slip said "check tire pressure" It didn't occur to me to check for a flat in the parking lot of the dealership immediatley after maintenance. That is the only reason I felt that I was owed something.

Thanks again...</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Ah, ic ic

well, any shop should check the air pressure of the tires before they leave. That is too bad that they didn't. Maybe you should start looking for another shop to get your maintence done.

Goodluck in the future!

Quick Reply: Tire valve question