Sponsored by:

Different tread pattern Front & Rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:20 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Different tread pattern Front & Rear

Thought I'd ask over on Wheels / Tires as I'm getting no takers on General...

I while ago I posted pics of my rear tire with a screw embedded. I had to replace the rear tires. So...In the front I have Michelin XGTV - probably about 2/3 worn and in the rear two new Michelin XGTV4 Pilots. One thing... the tread pattern between old & new (front & rear) is significantly different.

With the new tires in the rear I can feel a distinct side-to-side jiggle at the back end, more pronounced at higher speed.

I figured to begin with it was just something to do with breaking in the tires and it would go away - or I wouldn't notice it after a while. However, after over 1K miles it's still there.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? Could the different tread pattern between fronts & rears be doing this? - It's hard to imagine this being the case - but I'll bow to greater experience. Is it possible that improper balancing could be the culprit?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

brianh

'94 968 (31K miles)
Old 03-06-2003, 11:37 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts
Yes to your tread question, and check the tire pressures. New tires rear with worn fronts is also a factor.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:55 PM
carlitox
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problems when I replaced my rears with brand new Dunlops SP9000. The moment I got Dunlops in the front (same tread pattern), stability at all speeds came back into my life ;-)

Cheers

Quick Reply: Different tread pattern Front & Rear