Sponsored by:

Brisgestone SO3 "cupping"

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Brisgestone SO3 "cupping"

Has anyone experienced any "cupping" with their SO3s? I have a 996 (lowered with H&R Coliovers) and I am running 225/40-18 in the front and 285/30-18 in the rear. I am experiencing cupping on the rears only. I have checked the alignment and my friend's machine claims that I am within spec as far as front and rear toe goes and only slightly past spec on rear camber. As far as I know, camber should not cause cupping but toe problems can. I also know that some tires are more prone to cupping than others. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Alon
Old 02-17-2003, 11:38 AM
Tomasz
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about air pressure? I would start from adjusting that. No cupping with S03's on my Audi S4...
Old 02-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

I'm not suggesting that they are prone to cupping. In fact, I used them on my S4 as well with no problems but for some reason, they are cupping on my 996. Air pressure was always dead-on. As well, I've noticed that one my 996, after a bit of a drive on the highway or higher speeds on other roads, my tires tend to smell like rubber burning or melting. I don't spin my tires or beat on my car. I'm not kidding. Normal highway speeds will cause it. I', almost convinced that the alignment is off and the machine used to align it (twice) needs calibration. Anyhow, if others noticed cupping on their SO3s on 996s, I would want to know.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:54 PM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't comment on the SO3 yet as I'm just having them installed. However, I have had one instance cupping with Goodyear GS-C 245/45 on a Dodge Stealth Turbo. It was not the tires or alignment, it was an improper tire balance job. The only way you can stop the cupping once it has begun is to have the tires shaved.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:54 PM
Alon
Three Wheelin'

That's not the first time that I've heard that improper balancing can cause cupping and yes, once it starts, there is very little that can be done other than shaving them. I'm going to have mine warranteed in the spring. Hopefully, Bridgestone will cooperate.

Quick Reply: Brisgestone SO3 "cupping"