Sponsored by:

Pzero tire - "the system?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 08:37 AM
Black Fox
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pzero tire - "the system?"

I had a rear tire blow on me at about 70 mph about a month ago on a back country road. About 30-40 people drove by and laughed as I tried to put the spare on in middle of a cowfield (it's hard to get pity when you drive a Porsche). A true testament to Porsche drivers, though, a fellow 993 driver stopped and helped. To make a long story short, after a 4-hr tow to the dealership, removal of all four locking nuts (because previous owner lost key) I had both rear tires replaced. The fronts are still fine.

This weekend I had a chunk taken out of a rear tire, which flattened it in about 20 seconds. Now comes the problem - the replacement tires aren't available THIS YEAR?!? (est delivery date 1/2). So, I'm considering other options. I currently have a stock Carrera Cab with 205/50 ZR17 N1 Pzero Asimmetricos on the front and 255/40 ZR17 N2 Pzero Asimmetricos on the back. The front still have over 1/2 their tread left, so I hate to replace them so soon. I will admit, though, that the car is often difficult to keep steady on the road (I always thought this was the "real" driving experience you guys always talk about ). Now I'm wondering if it could be the tires I have on her.

Tire Rack stated I needed "the system" - directional on front and asims on back with same profile. I called the dealership to get their advice, and they had never heard of "the system" and recommended I go with all asims (as they installed a month ago). I'm wondering if this is a typical arrangement for 993's and 996's as Tire Rack suggested. I'm also wondering if the Rossos are as bad as some make them sound (I'm having a hard time finding the straight Pzeros at most places, but they do have Rossos). Any advice would be appreciated! My girl is currently sitting in my garage with no rear wheels on jacks, which is going to make for a long December!

Black Fox

("all I want for Christmas is my two back tires!")
Old 12-03-2002, 09:19 AM
Black Fox
5th Gear

Well, I've confirmed my dealer has no idea what they're doing when it comes to tires . Here's what I found on a tire website:

"The System, as it is called, provides a specialized tread pattern for each axle. This nomenclature was intended for rear wheel drive vehicles. However, for front wheel drive cars, the asymmetrical tire only should be used on the front and rear.

·Direzionale (directional) front tire design maximizes grip in wet conditions and reduces hydroplaning.

1. Zigzag tread with large longitudinal and lateral grooving creates a continuous water expulsion mechanism.

2. This "real time" water expulsion means that the P Zero Direzionale always works in direct contact with the road.

·Asimmetrico (asymmetrical) rear tire design delivers high resistance to maximum cornering forces.

1. Multifunctional tread design, developed with particular attention to optimal rib dimensions, promotes maximum grip and reduces heat generation."

For any of you that need new Pirelli Pzeros, <a href="http://www.discounttiredirect.com/" target="_blank">http://www.discounttiredirect.com/</a> claims to have them in stock on sale with free shipping for $187/each. Looks like it's time for me to consider 4 new ones to fix the mixup I have on my car now....

Black Fox
Old 12-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FWIW, the factory always installed four Asimmetricos on the 993 and 996 and the "System" on the Boxster. I also see that the "System" is widely used on mid-engine cars other than Porsche.

I have been running four Asimmetricos on my 993 C4S without any problems since 1996. I am on my fourth set now.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:16 AM
kary993
Drifting

I agree with Viken. I have used many sets of Asimmetricos as well since 1997. No issues that are the tires fault. My issue is with wear on the street when I do drive them on the street (any tire actually) since I have a very aggressive alignment front and rear (over 3 degrees). But that is my fault not the tires.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:45 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by kary993:
<strong>My issue is with wear on the street when I do drive them on the street (any tire actually) since I have a very aggressive alignment front and rear (over 3 degrees). But that is my fault not the tires.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, that is NOT an issue when you are getting enjoyment driving your car as it was meant to be driven. OTOH, you could try switching from Hoosiers to the Sport Cups which appear to be just as good and do not require as much negative camber. You may find that a -2 degree camber all around will work great and might help with that extra wear on the streets.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:12 PM
kary993
Drifting

Viken,

My camber set up is optimized for slicks. I tend not to drive it that much on the street anyway since it is frustrating.

Quick Reply: Pzero tire - "the system?"