Sponsored by:

brake dust and care

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:50 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default brake dust and care

These are polished rims and they look great, but what PIA. The consensus seems to be to clean and wax. I've neglected cleaning the wheels b/c it is so labor intensive. But if you don't, the brake dust can pit them. I need to find a better solution, i.e., that lasts longer. Can they be clear coated?
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2011, 01:43 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can clear a polished wheel, but it isn't the same clear they use on bodies. That yellows over time. The better alternative is to remove most of the dust with ceramic pads.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
. . . remove most of the dust with ceramic pads.
Wouldn't that scratch the finish?
Yes, I'm kidding, but that is how it reads.

Last edited by SteveG; 08-03-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:18 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Try REJEX. It is a great synthetic wax that does not yellow with heat, and allows you to hose off brake dust. It is a heavy duty product that I use on my car and wheels, and have not found anything that lasts as long and is as slippery. I think it is used on helicopter blades, and other hd applications. Do a search.
The following users liked this post:
MGT3 (09-15-2020)
Old 08-31-2011, 01:00 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

Chuck: Thanks. I think I will try Rejex.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone have experience with Rejex and the heat generated during tracking the car?
Old 08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Optimum Opti-Seal followed by Opt car wax is much better than Rejex (yes I've tried both)
The REAL solution as Damon mentioned is to use ceramic pads...I switched to Carbotech Bobcat on my GT3 and dust is reduced by (estimated) 85%...drove 100+ miles last week and inside of rim is perfectly clean.

Combine the 2---ceramic pads and a quality sealer+wax--and you will solve the problem

wsh
Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM
JnJNY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Does anyone have experience with Rejex and the heat generated during tracking the car?
Yes... On multiple cars... Works well and makes clean up very easy... I am able to use a wheel duster to remove dust as there is very little build up that sticks to the wheel...
Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
The heat generated on the track will just burn off all waxes and sealers.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 PM
SteveG
Rennlist Member

I'm reviving this (brake dust problem) with an additional problem. I bought new tires from a local discount tire shop. The tire monkey managed to install minor scratches to the each of the rims during the mounting process. So I should have known, I guess, "discount" should be the warning. At 10 feet most of their " work" is unnoticeable except one has what looks like minor curbing over 5-6 inches along the rim, other scratches are randomly applied. I would like to get them refinished/polished. I sent a local wheel shop the pics below. He said I need a vibratory polisher which he doesn't have, the nearest is Bath, PA. He offered to try to clean them up, but didn't sound too optimistic, I'm not sure if he is wary or just not willing to extend. I don't expect concourse. I had one case of pretty ugly curbing fixed but that shop is out of business. My question is what is in the realm of possibility for minor blemishes and what coating is available that would resist the dust?

Elsewhere here someone recommended a coating "Fitech Car Lift". Any suggestions appreciated.

Quick Reply: brake dust and care