Sponsored by:

competition tires, newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
tris911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default competition tires, newbie questions

if the tires are also marked street-legal, would you still drive on them to hpde/autocross events (perhaps putting about 200 miles)? any reviews of falken RT615? thanks.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Marc123
5th Gear

The Falken RT-615 is a tire that becomes greasy when hot. The Yokohama AD08, Kumho XS or Hankook RS-3 would be better choices for lapping/HPDE/autocross.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

an "R" compound tire will wear a surprising amount over 200 miles. I would recommend swapping tires at the track.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM
tris911
Advanced

thanks for your replies
Old 03-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Dave DE
Racer

I'm not familiar with the falkens, but I've driven other rcomp tires to the track with good results. I am more worried about damage from road debris than wear from miles.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:27 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's DOT rated, it's legal to drive on the street. But that doesn't mean you should. They will wear fast, get rotten wet grip, and will grab everything and throw it up the side of the car.

Hope this helps. Please call me if I can help.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Yomi
Instructor

The Falken RT615's aren't R compound tires --they're 200 treadwear summer tires. They were one of the good autocross tires (for street tire classes) back in 2003ish, with their main downside being they are very heavy, and the main upside being low cost. They've been replaced by the RT615Ks. I've not seen anyone talk about either of them being a top autocross tire in a long time. I drove a few sets of RT615s as daily drive + autocross, and they're just fine -- as you'd expect from a summer street tire.

As for R compound tires, I'd consider it for full tread RA-1s but 200 miles might be pushing it. Far better to find someone to carry your tires for you. Pretty much any other R compound tire -- bad idea. (1) tread and temperature response mean you better hope it doesn't rain if you're on V710s, Hoosier R6/A6, Nitto drag, etc. No tread fat tires are an aquaplaning accident waiting to happen. I'm dubious about the Toyo R-888 but it's probably not all that much different from something like an AD08 so maybe it'd work. (2) Unless it's an RA-1, you're adding an unnecessary heat cycle to the tire that will shorten its life, which is already really short. (3) Wear on the tire and car. No way I'd do it on autocross V710s. They're already $10 a run -- I'd hate to make that more expensive.

Edit: Agree with Marc123 -- those are better tires (IMO). Also agree with damon, and I'm sure he knows more about tires than I do.

Last edited by Yomi; 03-25-2011 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Add commentary on previous posts, clarifying street tires
Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 PM
911FM
Racer

Very happy with Toyo R888s for DE and a bit of street driving.

FM
Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
sig_a
Pro

Nitto NT01's can be driven to the track and back with good results. They are UTQG 100. Work reasonably well in rain and are superb on a dry track. You just have to be prudent in thunderstorms. They heat fast to 120 / 160 degree range. Performance is nearly as good as Hoosiers. and they are twice as tough for about half the money.

Contact Discount Tire or www.discounttiredirect.com
Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

I run Toyo RA1's as my street tires and they are completely fine. they don't pick much up because you really don't get them all that hot on the street, and they are decent when cold (fine for the street). Have done this for years, as they are the only streetable tire that will get the car to hook up in the first few gears.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've driven to and from events on R comps with tread patterns (e.g., Kumho VictoRacers, Yoko A048, Michelin Cups, Toyo R888) for quite a few years. Slow down in the wet; pull over and wait-out a heavy rain. I wouldn't do that with R comp "slicks with grooves" (Hoosiers, BFG R1, Kumho V710, etc.) though. My favorite "drive on to and from" for track events is the Michelin Cup, but it's not very grippy for AX until the ambient temps get high. I found the Kumho VictoRacer to be similar to the Cup in terms of ride comfort to and from, but not quite as cold natured for AX. I like the R888 better for AX, but, like the Yoko A048, they are very noisy on the road.

There are several very grippy "SCCA street tire class" (extreme performance summer) tires available now. They provide a much more street-able alternative to R comps while providing only slightly less event performance compared to treaded R comps. If I weren't already addicted to R comps, I think I'd head in that direction.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:46 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Have not done track events for several years, just getting back into it now. What are some of those current examples for a non R street tire that gives competition like performance ? Anyone have a recommendation ?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BF: One major source for high performance street tires is tirerack.com; look in their Extreme Performance and Maximum Performance categories. Tire Rack doesn't carry all of the likely suspects, however. I don't think there are any street tires that are as track-worthy and grippy as the R-comps we've been talking about, but some have received good reports for on-track usage.

I use the Bridgestone RE-11s (EP category) for street driving, sometimes for autocross, but never on track. They are one of the street tires that have received good track reports, but I don't know the experience or run group levels of those who have praised them. They might not hold up under very hard cornering in the advanced run groups. Another seemingly good tire in the same category is the Yokohama AD08.

In the Maximum Performance category two new tires look promising based on early casual testing; the Michelin Super Sport and the Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position. I don't know of any head-to-head comparison tests, but I'm keeping an eye out for one. The Michelin SS is supposed to be better than the Michelin PS2, and I know several lower run group drivers who reported liking the PS2s on track. Like most street tires, however, they tend to wear the outside edges from hard cornering unless negative camber is greater than OE maximum.

If you ran on R-comps before, you may find it hard to go back to streets.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Appreciate the advice. The Kumho's on the car now are shot and old and need to be replaced to get the car rolling again. Unfortunately I need to spend some time back in the car to sort out the suspension and other changes. I don't necessarily want to use RA1's for that but I also know I had max'd out my progression on the stock suspension/street tire arrangement and I would not be happy with full street tires. My best hope would be to run the RA1's and just get everything sorted out quickly. Would be easier if I had a 2nd set of wheels. IMight be time for the scientific analysis of a coin toss !
Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Yomi
Instructor

Originally Posted by BF951
Have not done track events for several years, just getting back into it now. What are some of those current examples for a non R street tire that gives competition like performance ? Anyone have a recommendation ?
Read this thread: Hottest Autocross Tires for 2011 for good discussion.

I decided on Yokohama Advan AD08 tires for my street / autocross tires, and I love them. Kumho Ecsta XS is arguably the fastest in the hot / dry. Bridgestone RE-11, Dunlop Star Spec, Hankook RS3, Toyo R1R are other good "competition" street tires. These are all for autocross though -- track use doesn't map directly.

Cheapest: Sumitomo HTR ZIII. Apparently a good but not great tire, excellent for the price. The Advan AD08's are on the expensive side (quite a bit cheaper than Michelins and RA-1s though), but seemed to me like they had the best all-around performance. The RS3s and RE-11s didn't fit my car but would have been on my short list.

Quick Reply: competition tires, newbie questions