Sponsored by:

How dangerous is reversed tread pattern

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:44 AM
911GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How dangerous is reversed tread pattern

I have only three track events worth of experience (2d each). At my last DE, it was recommended that I switch wheels left to right, as one side clearly was having more wear (Putnam Park, IN--7 right handers, 3 left). I did both days without switching, and have just made the right-left switch for a 2 day DE next weekend. I have the stock Pirelli Corsa on, with 3,500 miles. The tread pattern is directional. I do not trailer my car (2010 GT3), and drive about 150 miles (one way) to the event. My question is, How dangerous is driving a reversed tread pattern on dry pavement, and how dangerous if it rains, assuming I keep speed at 55-60 in the rain? My gut feeling is that I will be channeling water right under the tire, but will clearly get more life from the tires with the switch.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Very dangerous in the rain.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:01 AM
beentherebaby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the tire/vehicle. I've intentionally tested reverse treads on street vehicles and seen little difference in wet or dry though I'm confident in instrumented testing by the tire makers there is a difference.

In my actual experience, for reasonable street driving you should have no issues but YMMV depending on the tire/vehicle. It's not like the car will fall off the road at normal speeds...
Old 09-12-2010, 11:28 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have just to see if there is a difference on my FWD daily driver- 2200lbs. There is a slight increase in tire wear and road noise but otherwise "okay" in normal driving up to 70mph. Have done it in the rain as well and as long as taking normal precaution, it's fine. Btw, this was on Pirellis Asymetrical tires 225/40/18.

Quick Reply: How dangerous is reversed tread pattern