Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nail in sidewall - Do I buy 1 or two new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:16 AM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nail in sidewall - Do I buy 1 or two new tires?

Got a nail in the shoulder/sidewall area of right rear bridgestone RE-050A. The good tire on the left rear has an honest 6-8/32nds tread remaining. Is replacing only one just fine? These are my street tires, not pushed too hard

Thanks

Jim
Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You don't trust the five responses we supplied on planet-9?

But now you say "an honest 6-8/32" instead of 8/32. Whatever it is, you can have Tire Rack shave your new tire down to match the other tire's diameter.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A new tire is either about 9/32's or 10/32's. What is the code date on the tire you want to keep? Do you have PSM (Porsche Stability Management)?

You need to measure with one of these, no guessing. These's no such thing a 6-8/32's. Measure, and you'll know for sure.
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
You don't trust the five responses we supplied on planet-9?

But now you say "an honest 6-8/32" instead of 8/32. Whatever it is, you can have Tire Rack shave your new tire down to match the other tire's diameter.

Of course I trust planet-9 as much as rennlisters, I just didn't know how much overlap there was among mempership.

The change in remaining tread depth is because I was looking harder last night, and noticed the good tire had slightly less tread remaining than the damaged tire that I measured the first time, so when I posted here I was able to be even more precise. I used a depth guage on a micrometer to measure, and the range is inside vs outside depths, due to wear from camber.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With those cambered wear measures, I'll defer to Damon or Jim at Tire Rack. If advised, maybe they can even shave the new tire to match your remaining tire's inside to outside measures.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:41 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy 2 tires and keep the old one as a spare in case it happens again.

Find somewhere to buy tires with road hazard if you can get it at a reasonable price.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:00 PM
sjp79
1st Gear

This is a little off topic, but I have a blown tire that continues to leak. It's becoming a hassle to keep filling it with air. I was thinking of purchasing a new one from Tires-easy.com (noticed they have great pricing), but I'm a little hesitant to order online. Anyone have experience ordering from Tires-easy.com? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sjp79
This is a little off topic, but I have a blown tire that continues to leak. It's becoming a hassle to keep filling it with air. I was thinking of purchasing a new one from Tires-easy.com (noticed they have great pricing), but I'm a little hesitant to order online. Anyone have experience ordering from Tires-easy.com? Thanks.
Did you look at Tire Rack's web site?

Quick Reply: Nail in sidewall - Do I buy 1 or two new tires?