Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do slight differences in wheel width's matter much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do slight differences in wheel width's matter much?

I am likely getting a 2nd set of wheels to mount tires for DE/Autocross, and if my tire options will ikely always be 235-40-18 (stock) or 245-35-18 (option) in front would you recommend 8" (stock) or 8.5" front wheels? Question is will that half inch really make a difference? In back, I have the same question, with tire sizes of 265-40-18 (stock) or 275-35-18 (option), I could get 9" (stock) or go up to 10". I'm torn because wider means heavier, and stock tire sizes work fine with the 8F/9R stock wheels, but are those wheels too narrow to go any wider on the tire? Is saving the weight with the narrower wheels more improtant than the contact patch benefit of the slightly wider wheels?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2010, 05:56 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyT
I am likely getting a 2nd set of wheels to mount tires for DE/Autocross, and if my tire options will ikely always be 235-40-18 (stock) or 245-35-18 (option) in front would you recommend 8" (stock) or 8.5" front wheels? Question is will that half inch really make a difference? In back, I have the same question, with tire sizes of 265-40-18 (stock) or 275-35-18 (option), I could get 9" (stock) or go up to 10". I'm torn because wider means heavier, and stock tire sizes work fine with the 8F/9R stock wheels, but are those wheels too narrow to go any wider on the tire? Is saving the weight with the narrower wheels more improtant than the contact patch benefit of the slightly wider wheels?

Thanks
8.5" would support the tire better than 8" and will be better for performance

same in back, 10" will support the tire better than a 9"

a general rule use the widest wheel in the spec range for a tire for best performance and the narrowest for best comfort.

weight is always an issue and you do want the lightest possible wheel, but the difference in weight between 2 of the same design wheel w/ .5" difference in width will be negligible
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM
JimmyT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, in front the difference is about 1 lb, and in back it's over 1.5 lbs. The wider wheels would (better) facililitate the use of some wider but lighter tire options, though, so net/net it seems to be a wash. I'm just not convinced that the wider tires are the smart way to go, vs just staying with stock. I suppose I could always go back to the stock tire sizes on the larger wheel sizes, if I wanted to down the road.

Quick Reply: do slight differences in wheel width's matter much?