Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to estimate lifespan of hoosiers a6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Default how to estimate lifespan of hoosiers a6?

just did 2 day weekend evo school on hoosiers a6, total blast, those tires are truly awesome but I see I probably took about of 3mm off them already in 2 days.

I know those tires are considered to have max grip for 50-60 runs but getting more into details - is it reasonable to expect them to remain at max grip until that cylindrical thread in the middle of tire is still well visible? Or will they still work even after that thread disappears? I was told that after those initial max grip runs hoosiers deteriorate and become about same as toyos grip wise - is that true or actual grip deterioration is well beyond that?

Obviously is it first time I run on those tires so I simply want to know what simple visual signs are pretty typical for them so I would know it is 'time' to order a new set.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
jmazz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you the person that came over at the end of the day Sunday to ask about the trailer hitch on my Cayman? I wish I had known, I would've recognized your forum name.

I'm also running A6s for the first time but haven't checked my wear from Evo yet. I'm planning on flipping my fronts mid-season but I want to make sure I do it before the outer edges are too far gone.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jmazz
Are you the person that came over at the end of the day Sunday to ask about the trailer hitch on my Cayman? I wish I had known, I would've recognized your forum name.

I'm also running A6s for the first time but haven't checked my wear from Evo yet. I'm planning on flipping my fronts mid-season but I want to make sure I do it before the outer edges are too far gone.
Yep.

I looked it up - seems like I did about of 30-35 runs this weekends but hardly 10 of them were at 9/10th or so and it seems I lost 2mm of thread or so. May be 3. I wish I took pictures of those deep carvings in the thread to know better but, well, it will go as it will go and will last for as long as it will.

I am mostly concerned about how much traction do those tires keep as you progress down taking off more and more thread from them and what is the reasonable limit. It is easy enough to notice if you corded them but something tells me they will loose best traction well before they will be corded.

Quick Reply: how to estimate lifespan of hoosiers a6?