Sponsored by:

18" vs. 19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
mungo69
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 18" vs. 19" wheels

I recently bought a 2006 997C4. I'd like to purchase a set of snow tires and mount them on new rims so I can easily swap them for my summer tires. Currently I have 19" rims OEM on the S version. What are the relative merits of 18" vs. 19" rims? Apparently both 19" rims and tires are more expensive than comparable 18" rims and tires. Is there any noticeable difference in terms of ride and handling?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of things came to mind: Lower rotating mass and less stress on supporting suspension components. If you track your car the combination will translate into more quicker turn-in, braking, and accelerations etc...Ride, handling and harshness improves generally with lighter components on the street as well. Also, there are more tire options with 18s. 19s rollers look great and has that extra bling factor so you've got to take that into consideration. To each his own I guess...
Old 02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
mungo69
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your advice. I'm not sure, however, whether the 18" tire/rim combo is lighter or heavier than the 19" combo. The overall diameter is roughly the same because the 19" rims require lower profile tires (e.g., 235/35 vs. 235/40). So the extra mass of the 18" tire may more than offset any weight reduction in the 18" rim.

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
A couple of things came to mind: Lower rotating mass and less stress on supporting suspension components. If you track your car the combination will translate into more quicker turn-in, braking, and accelerations etc...Ride, handling and harshness improves generally with lighter components on the street as well. Also, there are more tire options with 18s. 19s rollers look great and has that extra bling factor so you've got to take that into consideration. To each his own I guess...
Old 02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Any updates on your decision on tires/wheels combo? With better wheel technology now a days a couple of lbs. here or there per wheel savings really doesn't affect ride and handling too much- it is just a little harder to find tire sizes and a competent place to mount your 19s. If just for snow apllication I'd stick with 18s.

Quick Reply: 18" vs. 19" wheels