Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

early tire death

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009 | 10:26 PM
Eaglesfan
Cruisin'

Default early tire death

These tires are Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A pole position 285/30/18 on a stock 2002 911 cab tip.

As you can see they appear to be wearing the inside most edge --the drivers side went flat today as i watched.

have approx 6-8K on them max.

Got them at the tire rack -- i think i prefer the pirelli tires that i replaced..but now i need to replace both rear tires...

what are your thoughts? Do I hav ethem under inflated? Is there an issue on these tires? usually if under inflated both the outside and inside edge woudl be worn not just the inside. I'm thinking an alignment is needed--I have never seen tires with this extreme of an edge worn.

Any recomendations on a different tire--i do drive the **** out out this car.

http://s291.photobucket.com/albums/l...rsche%20tires/
Old 11-21-2009 | 08:54 AM
Eaglesfan
Cruisin'

I'm thinking this my fault for under inflation--i have been running 38 lbs---will crank the new tires up to max pressure i think 44 or 45. Need to consider this car is a cab and tip so extra heavy in teh back as compared to my previous coupe. It's just an expensive lesson.
Old 11-21-2009 | 04:16 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Post this in the racing forum. There are a lot of people with a tremendous amount of experience with tires.
Old 11-21-2009 | 04:39 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Check your alignment. In my experience, the inside edges of the rears go first, and a good deal faster than the rest of the rear tires, but I can't imagine getting that few miles. My last set went 17,000 on a 03 996 using 44 psi. I believe that it is usually the inside of the right rear tire that goes first due to torqueing up the rear under acceleration. I know others who use less pressure.

I would post on the 996 forum for more response.
Old 11-22-2009 | 12:13 AM
Eaglesfan
Cruisin'

you are correct--i went to check when i bought the tires--and miles. Seemed like yesterday but it was actually 15K miles and one year. Sorry about my mis statement...still seemed like the tires had more life and I lost about 5K miles with the inside wear.

Quick Reply: early tire death