Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Wheel and Tire Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum-74/)
-   -   DYMAG Wheels... Any downsides? (https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/533249-dymag-wheels-any-downsides.html)

rijowysock 11-03-2009 04:09 AM

DYMAG Wheels... Any downsides?

Looking into a Set of DYMAG wheels... im not a scientist nor an engineer so im asking the people that would know.. any downsides to DYMAG's for daily use?

ive heard people say magnesium wheels have expiration dates (friend of mine races daytona prototypes and i asked once why so many wheels sitting around and he said something about the magnesium gets brittle)?

the carbon is more rigid and not malleable like aluminum but have people had problems w/ dymags in past?

basically.. in a nut shell, price aside.. would DYMAG's be good for a daily driver or am i smoking crack and getting in over my head with wheels that will expire and be to brittle for the road?

-riley

Boinkus44 11-03-2009 11:50 PM

I think your friend is right about the magnesium. I've got Dymags and have used them almost exclusively on the track, and have just discovered serious stress cracks in the magnesium spokes. The carbon fiber has held up well structurally but the finish has deteriorated. They can be refurbished but it's not cheap:eek:.

I loved the lightness, and after 50 odd track days, the Dymags are toast and need major work. Not sure how that translates into street miles, but they definitely have a finite life. Not yet decided if I'm going to spend the $5K+ to refurbish. Love the lightness though. Expensive habit....... Very noticeable on the 6GT3, and the Dymags make it a better car. YMMV

There's a recent thread here on the Dymag subject with pics. Don't know how to attach the link but it should be easy to find.

deputydog95 11-04-2009 10:48 PM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/...3e20b541_o.jpg

mdrums 11-04-2009 11:21 PM

Riley...DON'T DO IT! Keep the Works or Volks...better in my book!

RJFabCab 11-04-2009 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by deputydog95 (Post 7047975)

Deputy,

What's the story on that wheel failure? Can you link me to a thread? RE the Dymag failure... that pic sure makes me appreciate all the 'nuts and bolts' in all my aluminum rims! :eek:

To riley,

I'd pass on magnesium wheels for the street. Pitting and corrosion issues with respect to the elements are reason enough to stay away from them.

Get a quality set of forged aluminum wheels... designed with the 'street' in mind so that you don't bend the outer rim on your first pot hole.

Save the trick light weight set for your track days... ;)

RollingArt 11-04-2009 11:50 PM

Wow.

Really makes you want to go out and get a set of these Dymags.

Plus the carbon rim will likely break when it hits a good pothole.

Save yourself the grief Riley. Take a pass.

Phil

TB993tt 11-05-2009 11:43 AM

Since begining of this year the centres have been made out of magnalium, an a proprietry Dymag alloy of Aluminium and magnesium. They say this alloy will not crack like magnesium.
Mine are used as a daily driver, pot holes, 200mph etc and are holding together still. The finish on the CF around the rim is cracking cosmetically but apart from that they are an awesome bit of kit and make the car "dance".

The bad news is I believe Dymag has called in the reciever on the old company. My source said there was a potential litigation problem with Konigsegg (is that the right company ? the one who used the wheels as OEM ?) which they want to "put to bed".
Also interestingly the recievers have said that the company is not viable for the prices they were charging fo rthe CF wheels and the prices would have to go up 35% to make them viable..... this is not surprising, I couldn't believe how cheap mine were when one sees the quality and materials.

PS That picture of the cracked centres has been doing the rounds forever and is of a heavily tracked wheel with mag centres - how many BBS mags suffered the same fate ?

Boinkus44 11-05-2009 05:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the link to my recent thread on this very subject:

https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-an...th-dymags.html

And here's some pics of my Dymag experience :(. Needless to say they're retired and not being repaired.

rijowysock 11-05-2009 05:24 PM

ouch, passing..

hmmm. whats next..

deputydog95 11-05-2009 07:19 PM

I just pulled the trigger on those new OZ 18's. Allegrita or something that I can't pronounce or spell :)

Boinkus44 11-05-2009 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by deputydog95 (Post 7050579)
I just pulled the trigger on those new OZ 18's. Allegrita or something that I can't pronounce or spell :)

Since the great Dymag experiment is over for me, I'm now in the market for track wheels and came across the OZ Alleggerita HLT's as well. Look great, reasonably light and good price. I could buy 3 sets for the cost of refurbishing the Dymags. If they're track worthy, I'll probably get a set. Otherwise CCW's. Let me know how the OZ's stand up.

RJFabCab 11-05-2009 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 7049056)
PS That picture of the cracked centres has been doing the rounds forever and is of a heavily tracked wheel with mag centres - how many BBS mags suffered the same fate ?

I really don't keep up with Dymag's progress and evolution, so I am not that familiar with their construction. From Dymag's site, it looks like the current wheels have the centers bolted to the carbon rims.

Race rims under duress are at risk of failure. What concerned me about the Dymag failure pic was that the center separated from the carbon rim... in addition to cracking at the spokes. It didn't appear that the wheel pictured had any holes in the carbon rim to receive bolt hardware.

Were the centers bolted to the rim? Did the bolts shear?

deputydog95 11-05-2009 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boinkus44 (Post 7051171)
Since the great Dymag experiment is over for me, I'm now in the market for track wheels and came across the OZ Alleggerita HLT's as well. Look great, reasonably light and good price. I could buy 3 sets for the cost of refurbishing the Dymags. If they're track worthy, I'll probably get a set. Otherwise CCW's. Let me know how the OZ's stand up.

There's a GT3 at my shop that's been running the hell out of the OZ's. There's another car at the shop that is running the OZ HLT wheel (Superlegarra or something like that) at the track as well. No problems (knock on wood). My OZ's came in today. They look awesome and are super light (21 rear and 18 front). Not to mention the price is reasonable.

I can't wait to mount them up. I'm running Daytona next weekend so I'm really excited to see how the new wheels with the MPSC's hold up. I've been tracking on some 3 piece cargraphic wheels (19's) with some crappy Dunlop Sport tires. This should be a huge step up.

mdrums 11-05-2009 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 7050186)
ouch, passing..

hmmm. whats next..

BBS E88....dream wheel!

TB993tt 11-13-2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by RJFabCab (Post 7051196)
I really don't keep up with Dymag's progress and evolution, so I am not that familiar with their construction. From Dymag's site, it looks like the current wheels have the centers bolted to the carbon rims.

Race rims under duress are at risk of failure. What concerned me about the Dymag failure pic was that the center separated from the carbon rim... in addition to cracking at the spokes. It didn't appear that the wheel pictured had any holes in the carbon rim to receive bolt hardware.

Were the centers bolted to the rim? Did the bolts shear?

The centres are bolted to the rims yes and there are holes in the carbon. The pic of the disintigrated centres and the ones above are surely what magnesium wheels do eventually, the bolts didn't shear, no problem there ?

I have cracked about 4 magnesium BBSs in the past, the Dymag Magnesium centred wheels will be no different.

Like I said the latest Dymags are not made from Magnesium (just like the latest BBS race E88s are not made from magnesium anymore) so they won't crack like in the pics...... It amazes me how many people look at the pictures of the cracked Dymags and instantly "write them off" as a choice - can these people not understand that that is what magnesium does, people do not realise the history Dymag have of making wheels - in the UK the have been involved in motorsport for decades and have made F1 wheels and make for heavy industrial application like trains !!
TBH I am quite happy that many people are put off since it keeps the wheels ultra exclusive but then the new pricing will aid in that department also !