Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Identifying genuine Porsche wheel (and yes I searched ;-))

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:55 AM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Identifying genuine Porsche wheel (and yes I searched ;-))

So I just picked up a set of 18x9ET52 turbo twists, which should have come from a Boxster S (rear). I am going to run them on my 944 track car up front.

But, I know to look for the size and ET by the valve stem, but there isn't one. On the back there is the official porsche triangle with a P inside it, and porsche part numbers, but there's also a "Made in Italy" designation.

I know speedline and BBS make porsche wheels, but without the valve stem markings on the front side it kinda threw me off.

Thoughts? I need these to be OEM (forged) to stand up to track use. The guy I purchased them from says they are OEM and I have no reason to doubt him, but the lack of stamping on the front side threw me off.

Can someone confirm that wheel did or did not have the stamping by the valve stem?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:00 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Correct, genuine wheels have the width and offset cast next to the valve stem.
Replicas do not have this in the casting.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm looking at other photos of genuine Porsche turbo twist wheels online, and I don't see the markings next to the valve stem. I can't find a single shot of turbo twist wheels that have a marking.

Can someone with turbo twists on a car that they purchased check please? The official marking and part numbers on the back side make me think they are legit, and that the valve stem area is just different than other styles.

Even the shot of the wheel on Wheel Enhancement's site doesn't have markings. Their other styles do. I'm thinking Porsche didn't mark these next to the valve stem, but would love to hear confirmation from an origional owner.

No markings:

Markings:

Last edited by Iridium; 09-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 AM
DenverSteve
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently doing a mountain rally in the Colorado high-country so my wheels are pretty dirty but here's your photo. They are indeed marked. I ordered a set of wheels for my Cayenne a few years ago which, when they arrived, were made in Italy and much, much cheaper than OEM Porsche wheels. I don't believe yours are Porsche wheels.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 AM
auto-xr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iridium,

I had both the solid spoke and hollow spoke twists (looked like your top picture). They had a 993 part number on the back of them and they didn't have the with and Offset stamped on the front. The solids and hollows look the same from the front. Not all Porsche wheels are stamped from what I've seen. Pics below.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...owSpokes-a.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ghtFront-b.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...LeftRear-d.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...LeftRear-a.jpg

Last edited by auto-xr; 07-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really think you need forged wheels, the 993 and 996 Turbo twists were cast wheels, like most Porsche wheels. The 997 Turbo 19" wheel is forged, but not a twist spoke.

Quick Reply: Identifying genuine Porsche wheel (and yes I searched ;-))