Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009 | 10:33 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Default flat tire

Have a flat on the right rear. It is almost right at the shoulder, and 3 attempts at repair have failed.

The tires are OEM bridgestone RE050a, with about 14,000 km on them (say, 9000 miles).

Treadwear seems okay. Should I replace the leaking tire, or both back tires at this point?

Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009 | 12:22 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

The new tire will have a tread depth of about 10/32", so if you're already over half way through you current tires, perhaps you should get two new tires.

There is a rule-of-thumb about tread depth differences side-to-side, but I'm not much into rules-of-thumb. I'd measure the tread depth on the current tires and then do whatever makes me more comfortable. My guess is that I'd be buying two new tires. Flats can be expensive.

BTW, right rears are notorious magnets for pointed metal objects that wait along the side of the road for Porsches. I think the right front tire sets them up to penetrate the right rear. I've had two flats over the last 3 years; both near the center of the right rear, and both repaired with interior patches.
Old 07-09-2009 | 03:44 AM
itisaniceday
6th Gear

I find a Up to $80 rebate .hope it can save you a lot if you plan to buy.
Old 08-02-2009 | 11:49 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default What are you using for the repair?

You should be using a speed patch to repair it. The tire is repaired by removal and an interior patch. PM me if you need more info.

Quick Reply: flat tire