Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Down to what temperature do you drive your car with summer tires in sunny clear days?
40F or up
10.53%
32-39F
5.26%
20-31F
31.58%
Below 20F
42.11%
I used winter tires, don't drive it during winter
10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Driving Summer Tire in Clear Sunny Winter Days

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 PM
opus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Summer Tire in Clear Sunny Winter Days

As I got into my car today after grocery shopping at Wegman's, I happened to glance at the MB CLS-55 AMG. I noticed that it wore summer tires. Temparature wise was 30F, with day time high projected to be 38F. Then my curiosity got into me. I looked around and saw a Boxster and a Corvette Z06. (This Wegman's is in a well-to-do area.) I checked their tires, and both wore summer tires. Which got me thinking ....

to those who live in the cold weather, how cold do you drive your car with summer tires on at the time you go out?
- Assume day time high will be 5F higher than when you're about to go out.
- Roads are clear, free of ice, snow, salt and it's a beautiful day.

Last edited by opus; 12-13-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I voted in the below 20F group. It gets that cold every once in a while here in Northern Florida. My location may make me a ringer in your pole.
I don't think the situation is so much about the ambient air temp, the calendar, or anything else, as much as it is about how often you are likely to drive your Porsche in snow. Winter tires are not that different from summer tires in performance on dry roads or clean ice (when being driven in a daily driving manner - not referring to performance driving situations). Winter tires are all about wide lugs for clearing snow from between the treads rather than packing it in there and making snow-to-snow contact. On dry pavement, the summer tires would make more surface contact. On clean ice, neither tire would particularly work well without studs or chains.
Our DE season never ends here. We do them in all months. Our local track is in Savannah, Georgia. Snow is a very uncommon weather situation here. Our PCA Region does a DE in January every year, and it is not because we treat it like a polar bear swim. Cars and track may have a very light coating of overnight ice, but that has melted before the first run group hits the track.
I never change to "winter" tires simply because of the temperature.

Quick Reply: Driving Summer Tire in Clear Sunny Winter Days