Sponsored by:

Looking for guidence- One Lap of America Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Looking for guidence- One Lap of America Tires

We're starting to prep to run OLOA again this year in my '69 911 outlaw. As with all racing the right tires make all the difference. The rules are: unshaved street tires greater than 140 treadware rating from the Tire Rack. I'd like any help figuring out what tires to run...

My standard wheel setup is 10 and 12 x 17s for 275s and 315s. I could instead get 18" wheels in order to run faster tires. There will be at least one wet event (a wet skidpad) and there are often more, so wet performance is critical. The race format is three flying track laps from a standing start. The car weighs roughly 2300 lbs with driver.

The tires I'm currently considering are all extreme performance "cheater" tires:
Kuhmo XS 275 and 315 x 17 (the only one available in my current sizes)
Dunlop Direzza Z1 star ~255 and 275 18 (a lot less tire, but proven fast and good in the wet)
Yokohama AD08 ~255 and 295 18 (not out yet, and might not be released in time).
Am I missing any? BTW, the Dunlops and Yokos don't come wider.

If anyone has any guidance as to which direction would be quickest I'd appreciate it. My best guess is that the AD08s will be fastest overall, but they probably won't be available in time. The Kuhmo XS will be next fastest, but will be somewhat slower than the Dunlops in the wet.

I suspect the Tire Rack will do a nice comparison test at some point soon, but given that I need to order custom wheels for the 18s it might come too late to help me.

-Pete
Old 02-27-2009, 01:55 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run the Yokos for a full season,10-12 track,days and loved them.Decent wet and perdictable and fast.Alittle slick when hot,back off for alap and then they were great.I just got 8 and 10 x17 Kineses supercups and the Yokos only have 255 as the widest 17 they make.Looking to go to Toyo R888.Would love to hear what u settle on
Old 02-27-2009, 02:40 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

2009 Participating brands are:

BFGoodrich

Bridgestone

Continental

Dunlop

Firestone

General

Goodyear

Hankook – new for 2009

Kumho

Michelin

Pirelli

Yokohama

I would run the Dunlop Z1 of the group. It's overall ratings, especially in the dry seem to be the best of the lot this year. You'll never go wrong with PS2's, either they just cost more. I'm anxious to test the Kumho XS because they look to be a real player. We'll test in the spring.

Call me to place the order as we are the only provider of One Lap tires.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Looking for guidence- One Lap of America Tires