Sponsored by:

Short Lug Bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Lug Bolts

Does anyone know where I can find some short lug bolts to attach spacers to Boxster Wheels. I bought 17mm spacers to fit 18 x 10 996 wheels with 65mm offset to my Boxster. The spacers came with nuts for attaching the wheels to the spacers, but no bolts for attaching the spacers to the hubs. Suncoast keeps telling me I can use my stock lug bolts, but the heads of the bolts are a full 1 inch deep and fit outside the spacer, and there is only 1.25 inches from the spacers to the end of the spacer bolt. Their way would have the wheels against the head of the lug bolt. I could be confused, but I just don't see a way to do it without short bolts with small heads to attach the spacers to the hub. They need to fit inside the grooved spacer holes, be about 1 inch and fit flush inside the spacer. Am I confused?
Old 10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
MarkG911
8th Gear

Are they genuine Porsche wheels ?

The mounting face on the wheel should have a recess between each bolt hole to accept the bolt heads if they protrude from a spacer.
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2008, 04:29 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Yes, they are. I actually had not considered anything like that. I have two different sets of Porsche wheels and looking at this picture made the light come on. Thank you. I feel pretty dumb, but you made it very clear. No one told me that before, and I was just sure they wouldn't fit.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:17 PM
MarkG911
8th Gear

Please note that it is important that you tighten the spacer bolts as you would for the wheel.
You will need someone to press on the footbrake for you to obtain the correct bolt torque setting.

I would also encourage you to remove the wheels after about 50 miles to re-check the spacer bolts and then re-check the wheel bolts after a further 50 miles as normally recommended.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:17 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

86-88ft lbs on both spacer bolts and wheel nuts?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
brucegre
Banned

The Porsche torque spec is 96 ft-lbs, not 88, and you do want to tighten to this.

BTW, don't feel dumb, I had this problem on my '02 TT, and I ended up having to grind down the head of the bolt to mount my BBS LM wheels (they didn't have the gaps the way the factory wheels do). This was on a setup "guaranteed" to work from BBS.

Quick Reply: Short Lug Bolts