Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

935 Rim Resto for Pirelli 355/25/19" Street Tires - Progress

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 935 Rim Resto for Pirelli 355/25/19" Street Tires Completed by Weidman's Wheels

All,

I figured that since I was having some very, very, very special wheels worked on that there might be someone out there who would like to see these ultra rare rims.

Story:
I had a terrible nightmare in June of 2007, a dream with a car that literally scared me to death waking up in a horrible sweat...so I decided to build it.

My 1982 930 slant had a date with destiny, long story short she gets 935/76 bodywork (turbo fenders with slantnose front etc) with exception of a 911 GTR tail to house a Texas sized intercooler for the 3.8tt. Paint is to the order of Satin Black.

I hunted for rear wheels to fill the amazing 15" wide gaping holes, low and behold a barn find of some 935 rear wheels and early style conical wheel fans was in store for me. A quick call and I had the centerlock setups to boot.

Wheel and Tire Info:
The problem with 19" x 15" wide wheels is that no one makes rubber to fit them for the street, or track. I noted Pirelli had a run of 355/25/19's that we'd try to stretch on them...the result is note worthy that there is an extra 2" needed for the tire to fit the rim properly.

Weidman's wheels of Oreville, CA is going to reduce 2" of width from the inner rim halves in order to fit the "skinny" 355/25/19's on these wonderfully historical rims.

While I understand all the patina is lost and so is much of their history - they are about to start a new chapter. Afterall I care not about resale of the parts, just that I can enjoy them any time I choose.

Barn Find:

At the shop:

Pirelli 355/25/19 (middle) compared to 315/35/17's on either side:

Pirelli's Mounted:

At Weidman's:

Dismounted:

After being trued:

Last edited by Guns951; 11-04-2008 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Okay so along the way in polishing the wheels, Harvey and I spoke about pits and scars on the outer rim halves from the wheel fans and racing in general. We talked about adding material to them to fully polish them out but we were both in fast agreement that instead of hiding and removing their previous life's work - we were to leave it on display with a light polish...a tribute to battles fought and won.

I do have to say that my dealings with Weidman's wheels has been BEYOND PERFECT...Harvey is one of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of working with and does such a fantastic job that I would never hesitate to use his services again...always up front and to the point on every subject.

When Harvey was polishing my wheels he noticed an odd marking/stamping in the rim half...so he though it good to take a pic and send to me...can you make out the lettering? K R E M E R....

This is just another tribute to Harvey's highly sensitive analysis of every part of everything he does, I can garuntee if anyone else had been redoing these wheels not only would they not be so perfect but that little marking would have been polished out.

Behold the delight that is Harvey Weidman's work...I'm not an emotional person, but I'm getting misty-eyed just looking at these pictures...
Blasted Center:

Painted:

Scored to cut:

Cut & Ready to Weld:

Lip Welding to Repair Damage:

Polishing:

Baking:

Tire Mounted Inside View:

Vintage 19" e50 Rim Half Glory:

Last edited by Guns951; 11-04-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
DaveConn
Instructor

Last year Harvey re-finished a set of 964RS magnesium Cup wheels for me, and they were STUNNING!

I agree with you, he is the best.

I have fond memories of seeing rims like those on the "killers" of the era. That appears to be one kick a$$ project you have going...

Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Thanks Dave....I would give anything to go back in time to watch the K3's and Factory 935's rule the day...
Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

You and me both.

On second thought, forget the K3s and 935s, what about Free Love and no responsibility!!!?

When, and if, you can, I would love to see the end result with those wheels...

Please say "Hello" to the Great State for me.

Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 11:44 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Most definately. Shoot me a PM with your location and we'll see if you're on the route to North Carolina or on the way to Houston from Cali.

Quick Reply: 935 Rim Resto for Pirelli 355/25/19" Street Tires - Progress