Sponsored by:

tire reccommendations/advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tire reccommendations/advice?

i have a 1986 Porsche 944. and i am looking to replace my tires, they are as old as the day my dad bought the car, around '95....... and im looking to keep the same wheels.

i came up with this from my friend: http://edgeracing.com/tire/5523 but i am afraid they will not fit my stock wheels because someone told me that the tire can still be wider or thinner even thou its a 215 60VR15.

or i was thinking of these: http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_gara...om=tires#tires ......

can someone give me some advice or tips on buying new tires ?? thank you
Old 07-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those old tires need replacing quick.

Yes, the same size designation can vary somewhat in width by brand, but it's not by a lot. Thus, all 215/60/15 brands should have about the same recommended rim width range.

It looks like you've settled on the "ultra high performance all season" category. Tire Rack has only their initial review (May '08) of the Goodyear Eagle GT posted, but a comparision test against other tires in the same category (as they usually do) would provide more helpful information for decision making. You could call Tire Rack and ask if a comparison test is forthcoming, and also ask their opinion about the tires in this category.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
racer
Drifting

Umm.. is the car in your avatar the car in question? I ask because "that" car looks like a Turbo.. and one with larger than stock wheels as well..

Why don't you share with us the rim size in question? In 1986, the car could have 7x15, or 7 and 8 x 15, or 7/8x16. Given the age of the car though, maybe you have something else?

As mentioned, yes, the overall tire width can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. IE a Dunlop 215 might be narrower than a Yokohama 215.

That said, on a 944, you can run very wide tires (depending on the rim of course). I've seen 944s run everything from a 205 to a 245 width quite comfortably.. and even a 275 in the rear.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:22 PM
theykallmekem
Burning Brakes

actually, this is my car. that car in the avatar is a red turbo that i want lol.

"That said, on a 944, you can run very wide tires (depending on the rim of course). I've seen 944s run everything from a 205 to a 245 width quite comfortably.. and even a 275 in the rear." and racer, for some reason on my 944, i think that the rear tires are SLIGHTLY WIDER than the front tires..... that is the trouble that i have in finding a pair of tires because im surely afraid of getting the wrong size. and as for rim size, i really do not know.............its a sad thing....but its the stock rims thou for my N/A.

and jim michaels, i do plan on going to one of the tire rack recommended installers and actually asking for their help on tires but maybe there is an all seasons tire that is better over another brand. i was going for the goodyears, but the falkens are cheaper and im trying my hardest to squeeze my dollars.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Please give me a call, I'd be glad to help.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 AM
BackInBlack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been quite happy with BFG Super Sports for a ultra high performance all season tire. Pretty reasonably priced for what they are too.

Quick Reply: tire reccommendations/advice?