Help w/New Tire Diameter & Viscous Coupler

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:46 PM
ncp
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help w/New Tire Diameter & Viscous Coupler

Post copied from 993 Turbo forum:

I'm thinking of trying these very new Dunlop Z1 Star Specs for track/street use. They come pretty highly rated according to Tire Rack tests and at about $750 with rebate, they're almost 1/2 the price of the PS2s and PS Cups. I'm planning to do at least 3 or 4 DE events this summer and I just want a grippy tire that I can beat on and not care about chunking... and at that price, I can rip through nearly 2 sets for the price of one of the Michelins.

Unfortunately, the closest the rears come in is a 275/35/18, which has a 25.6 inch overall diameter. The typical 285/30 tire I normally run (Michelins) is closer to 25.1 inches. I realize I'd be giving up a little less than 1/2 inch in surface patch by going with the 275 which is not ideal, however, My Questions: 1) will I have any fitment issues with this tire size in the rear due to the larger diameter? 2) If I were to go with this tire size, do I need to increase the diameter of the fronts to more closely match the increase in the rear due to the viscous coupler and if so, how much of a spread is acceptable between front and rear anyway? 3) I realize the larger diameter of the tires will affect the overall gearing ratio, however, is a 1/2 inch difference diameter noticeable? and lastly 4) has anyone run these tires and if so, how do you like them?

Thanks guys, your input is appreciated.

Nick

Quick Reply: Help w/New Tire Diameter & Viscous Coupler