Sponsored by:

What pyrometer should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts
Default What pyrometer should I buy?

I need to buy a tire pyrometer and am wondering what people are using. Are probes better than infra-red? Do I need to buy a more expensive one or will an "economy model" do the same job, just with fewer frills. Her is one of the cheapest probe types, anyone try this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Longa...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks if advance for your input.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Longacre brand probe is good. I have one, but it's not the economy model shown on ebay. All of their offerings can probably be found at www.longacreracing.com. I also have a AccuTech infrared pyrometer. I use the probe at the track, and maybe only a couple of times per weekend. At autocross I use the infrared to get surface temps because the probe always reads too cool underneath. I actually like the infrared better because it's more versatile. Everything needs measuring; the brakes, the wheels, the engine, my skin, and even my french fries.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use infared pyrometer. Multiple use on and off the track like Jim stated. Especially when it comes to cooking and annoying my cats with the laser.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

John: Other comments about the limits of the probe type, based on limited personal experience and some reading. First, the probes were apparently more useful on bias-ply race tires. On radial R-comps and street tires, the readings are less helpful because those tires have more flexibility. The second limitation is that the tire temps should be taken immediately after several hot laps; as soon as one can stop after pit-in, preferably with several people taking tire temps. Thus, a pit crew is helpful. I've only had that kind of service one weekend; the rest of the time I have to wait until I reach the paddock, which means that the tires have already cooled some. Finally, if the temps are not optimal across the tread, there's not much I can do about it with my street/track compromise alignment settings. Some may be able to adjust camber and toe at the track, but I'm stuck with what I've got; at least for that weekend.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:40 PM
johnr265
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for everyones input. Just bought the longacre deluxe.

Quick Reply: What pyrometer should I buy?