Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on changing tires without scratching rims?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Tips on changing tires without scratching rims?

I just got a flat in a tire mounted on a new and perfect rim. Does anyone have any advice for finding a shop that can get that tire off and back on without messing up the rim - or can any decent tire shop do it?

Greg H.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:03 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm now getting my tires installed at a local shop that refinishes wheels. I figure they'd invest in machines and staff that won't mess up a freshly painted wheel.

Cheers,
Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 AM
johnr265
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

It starts with finding a place with good equipment. The Tire Rack uses a Hunter machine and I have found that generally, shops who have one and take a little extra care will be able to mount tires without scratching the rims. You can go to the Hunter website and find shops in your area that have purchased one.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

When calling around, just ask if they have touchless mounting equipment. You do NOT want a rim-clamp mounter if you can avoid it. Generally, Hunter makes the best mounting and balancing equipment. It's all we use here.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used many shops with many different machines over the years. My current tire guy for tire mounting and balancing has only Hunter machines and, most importantly, he knows how to use them. It seems that Hunter definitely has the best stuff out there. I've been up "up close and personal" with Hunter mounting and balancing equipment and it's first rate with how those units work and how acurate they are.

If the tire tech is any good and good machines are being used, you should have absolutely zero damage to your rim and the wheel and tire combo should be in perfect balance.

90 964, 84 3.2

Quick Reply: Tips on changing tires without scratching rims?