Sponsored by:

advice on Michelin PS2 non-Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 02:48 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advice on Michelin PS2 non-Porsche

I'm going to need new front tires shortly for a 997S, before a track event in mid September. Tire Rack has the PS2 235/35-19, but not the Porsche-specific N model; it's backordered with no ETA. I can place the order now, but if they aren't in pretty soon, I will have to do something else. So far, I can't find them at any other supplier. I'll check the dealer this week, but if they have it, I expect the price will be outrageous. I've used enough standard PS2's on other cars to have no hesitation in using it now. If anyone knows of any compelling reason to avoid them, I would be interested to hear it.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I am in the same boat as I've about used up my PS2's on my 997S too. I am going to get track wheels/tires and replace the PS2's with Bridgestone due to cost. Porsche ships cars with Bridgestones and they are only going to be used for the street and should work out fine.....

problem is Bridgestone does not have the 235/35/19 Porsceh specified tires in stock either. From what I've learned is the Porsche specified Michelin, Bridgestone and Pirrelli tires have a different load rating than the non spec tires.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:07 PM
elh0102
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the load ratings are slightly different, but why? The ratings are both within the range of other tires in the category. Unless there are some differences in construction of the non-Porsche tire that adversely affect handling, I'm not going to worry about it. I've used the standard PS2 tire on other cars, both faster and heavier than the Porsche, and it worked great. On one of the other tires, maybe the Michelin Sport Cup, there is a tread design difference on the Porsche-specified tire that is supposed to enhance handling in the wet. That difference wouldn't be a factor for me, because I don't drive in the wet. I'll try to get some information from Tire Rack tomorrow, although I don't think they are told anything about the proprietary differences.

Quick Reply: advice on Michelin PS2 non-Porsche