Sponsored by:

R-spec rubber for the track

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts
Default R-spec rubber for the track

Can You guys give me some advise as to what type of R-spec tyres best suit 951's on the track. I can go to 8" front and 9" rear. Also does anyone just run one set of wheels and R-spec tyres for both road and track? I want this type for track and I know some people use this on the street but I would be concerned about the rapid wear and any damage done which would be bad for the track days. Do you guys get the Falken brand in the US? I am being advised that these are crap by some people and really good by others so am somewhat confused. I can always stick to the tried and tested Michelins, Dunlops, Bridgestones etc...but they're pretty expensive.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:46 PM
mickf
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The R compounds that seem to be most commonly used for street and track are Toyo RA1, and Kuhmo Victoracers. I have used the Toyos and was very happy with them. They're also a great rain tire until the tread is nearly gone. I have no personal experience with the Victoracers, but know they have plenty of fans.

I think no matter what you use on the track, the track is going to wear them down pretty quickly.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:05 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R's are a softer compound so will wear faster than a street tire on the street or at the track. They will give you more grip and you may go faster but whey will not necessarily make you a better driver. And good R's are expensive.

Kuhmo victoracers ~ $150 US 245/45x16's Toyo's $170+

Quite a few track guys will run 8" at all for corners with the 245/45's. Makes for easier tire rotation and even wear and the wider fronts helps dial out some of understeer.

I have used the Toyo RA1's for street and track for a total of about 7500 miles. This included 12 track days and two dozen autoX's

Quick Reply: R-spec rubber for the track