Yokohama ADVAN?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yokohama ADVAN?

This is the first time i post here but i wanted to see/hear opinions.

Yokohama has a new tire brand, the ADVAN. Anyone heard of it? anyone knows the prices, performance figures and so on?

TIA!
Old 01-18-2005, 02:12 PM
Terrance Seto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ADVAN has been around for many years. 10+ years
Old 01-18-2005, 02:14 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh really? there was this really HUGE article in the paper, maybe it's new here
Old 01-18-2005, 07:03 PM
BOXER4
3rd Gear

they're not new in NA.....they've been around for many years just like Terrance Seto said....This is the high performance division of Yokohama tires....In Japan they are used amongst many tuners. Some new AMG's a;so come with ADVAN A048's......Also, some DOT legal street/track tires called A032R, I've had many of these.....The new A048 is an awesome tire but so far has only been imported in the 18" tire sizes.... In the rally world most Yokohama tires use the ADVAN name as well.....In Japan there are more models, .....slowly but surely the rest will make there way here...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 PM
djazzy99
Instructor

I have used the advan ao32 r for the track. Initially, i was impressed since i had never pushed a car that hard before. The V-tread design is very good for wet weather traction. However, after switching to the Toyo RA-1's, i knocked over 1.5 secs off my lap time. I will never go back to buying Yokohama Advan ao32 r's. Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:25 AM
hesperus
Racer

the advan A032's are one of yokohama's older semi slick tires. while still quite good, there are newer and better ones from yokohama and other tire manufacturers.

the A048's are their current highest spec intermediate tire, i believe, and while i haven't used them myself, are supposed to give silly levels of grip.

i have the advan AD07 "Neovas" on one of the cars i used on the track. they are yokohama's newest model, and i believe were just shown at the SEMA show very recently. i suspect they are going to be introduced in the U.S. shortly (i live in the Philippines and they were introduced here last year).

the new Neovas are much better than the previous AD06 versions, and seem to occupy an odd place in the "map" of tire categories. they seem to be positioned above current ultar high performance street radials, but below track spec semi slicks/intermediates. i don't know of other tires that occupy this space (though manufacturers like Hoosier, Mickey Thompson and Nitto are not present here in my country, hence I'm not familiar with their offerings). in my experience, the advan neovas perform better than other manufacturers' highest spec street tires (have compared them to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's, Bridgestone S03's, Dunlop Direzza's and Formula 901's, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's and even Yokohama's own AVS Sport). moreover, they are NOT a dry only tire, as they perform very well in the wet as well. the downside is that the compound is quite soft, so treadwear is noticeably higher than for the other tires mentioned.

for all-out dry track use however, i'd go with the A048's, Bridgestone RE55's or Toyo R888's.

hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Yokohama ADVAN?