Sponsored by:

19 inch tire problem - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 05:39 PM
996 AERO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 19 inch tire problem - HELP

Copied my post from the 996 Forum. I was unaware there was a tire and wheel forum on Rennlist....Thanks Bernie.

Need new rear tires on my 1999 996 19 inch wheels. Currently have Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D2, 275/30ZR 19's on the rear. Went to the local tire shop and they ordered replacements. They tell me Goodyear no longer makes GS-D2 but rather changed to GS-D3. Can anyone tell me what the difference between the D2 and the D3 means? Anyway the tire dealer tells me they will not fit and I need to go with a Continental ContiSPortContact 2 with a size of 315/25ZR19. I would be concerned that a larger tire might rub. I am not a tire expert but this does not make sense to me and also my front tires are very good so I would perfer not to use two different brands of tires.

Received a call from the tire dealership asking what the offset is on my rear wheels. Why would they need to know this for rear tires?? I am totally confused.

Just got off the phone with a tire expert at TireRack. TireRack tells me yes indeed there is a big difference between D2 & D3 and they will not fit my rears. The D2 & D3 is the composition of the sidewalls and some other technical stuff he mentioned. They also said Goodyear no longer makes D2's that I can use on my rear wheels so i need to change manufacturers. Hate to do this because the front tires ar in very good shape. From what I understand it is not advisable to run two different manufactures on the front and rear. SO now I am contemplating buying 4 new tires.

Any feed back and recommendations on a good high performance, summer only, dry weather only tires would be appreciated. I was really happy with the Good Years but it appears I'm out of luck getting them.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you drive the car hard, you will not like the Continentals. That is also a 40mm change in width, you better have some wide rear wheels.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:58 AM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
If you drive the car hard, you will not like the Continentals.
I may be in the minority, but I have driven the Contis hard and I think they are pretty good, in the ballpark with Pilot Sports. My favorite non-R tire is the Potenza S-02, don't know if they make your size though.

Gary
Old 09-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I am using 19 inch wheels with Contis IIs on both my 964 and GT-2.
The 964 is running 225/30s on the front and 265/30s on the rear so they are available.
The GT-2 is running 235s on the front and 315s on the rear.
I love these tyres and I have no complaints with them at all. They have been driven really hard as well.
The GT-2 does tend to wear them out more quickly but that is a function of the right foot and the driver than a failure of the tyre.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
GT-2

Quick Reply: 19 inch tire problem - HELP