Report on Michelin Pilot Sport 2 for 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 09:28 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts
Default Report on Michelin Pilot Sport 2 for 993

Previous
Pirelli P Zero System Assimetrico in stock 225/40/18 (24K miles) and 285/30/18 (12K)
Most miles I ever got out of any tire. Usual is 16-20K front and 8-10K rear.
Previous camber
Front L -0.4º R-0.5º
Rear L -1.2º R -1.4º

New
Michelin PS2 Size 235/40ZR18 N2 and 295/30ZR18/XL N2
I had to upsize because the stock sizes are not yet available. Car is lowered about 1.25" No rubbing or fitting issues. More rubber on the road feels nice.
New camber
Front L -0.1º R-0.1º (reduced due to excessive wear inside fronts)
Rear L -1.3º R -1.3º
Car was also corner balanced, plus coincidentally new pads and rotors.

Miles since installed: 700. I am not a tire guy or a track hound, so please bear with me.

My usual driving is 80% straight, 20% back road twisties, but these first 700 miles were more like 50/50. Spirited, not crazy getting it sideways.
On this car I have previously had (OEM, forgot brand they went so fast), Michelin SX MXX, Bridgestone SO2 and lately Pirelli.

Trying to recall new to new comparisons to be fair, the Michelin PS2 are:
Smoother, quieter and more comfortable straight line. They have a slightly less instantaneous initial turn-in, especially compared to the SO2 and Pirellis. I am told this is due to a more compliant sidewall construction.
After initial turn-in and once they take a set, they are very sticky. This tire shines in high speed sweepers, and handles transitions fine once you learn to anticipate a few extra milliseconds of turn-in. Hard to imagine you could even get the car sideways with these tires. Braking is excellent, even though this is a straight rib pattern inside, not the inverse "V" or "W". Tramlining, or whatever you call that involuntary lane hopping on the freeway, is greatly reduced, more likely due to camber changes.
Altogether a very reassuring set of rubber.

YMMV, not responsible if you commit stupid, no affiliation, blah blah.

Quick Reply: Report on Michelin Pilot Sport 2 for 993