Sponsored by:

Spare Tire for Track Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 12:17 PM
toy4speed
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Spare Tire for Track Day

Hey All, I'm taking my 2021 GT4 out for a track day event this weekend. Been years since I've been on a track, but with the GT4 and the opportunity to do a safe, well controlled event, I figured it would be fun. To be held at Laguna Seca in Monterey area. Last time there I think I spun out in the corkscrew area (decades ago, but still in my memory).
Anyway, it was suggested to be a good idea to have a spare tire, in case of tire failure, not for the track, but mostly to get home (2+ hr drive). For those who haven't given this much thought, just wanted to share what I am doing.
Will carry a front wheel/tire combo (in a plastic bag) in my front seat. Its's a BC racing wheel, 19x8.5, with a 255/35-19 tire mounted. I normally would mount this in front with a 3mm spacer for my autox events, but for this purpose I will also bring a 7mm spacer to compensate for offset difference, and place on the rear hub to run it in case of a rear tire failure. Wheel clears everything well, including the important rear toe link. O.D. is close to my current rear tire, within 0.2" or so. Not sure what would happen with my tpms sensors if I swap just one tire out, but not too concerned about that. Will bring floor jack and tire change tools in case. Otherwise, hoping for a fun day!

Old 08-24-2023, 06:09 PM
toy4speed
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Taran_forgelite
Hopefully you don't need to use it but it's always better to be rather than sorry. Enjoy your time at the track!
Thanks! Yes, better to over prepare, especially when several hours from home and possible 100 deg heat during drive. Keeping shiny side up seems to be a good goal. 😁

Quick Reply: Spare Tire for Track Day