Sudden onset rust/corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 08:13 PM
jonnkycvrd
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Sudden onset rust/corrosion

Hi All,

Just did an open lapping day on Saturday. Pretty wet and first of the season so kept the pace slow and only did a few sessions.

Was cleaning up the car up today noticed this rust and corrosion on the front passenger wheel, not as bad on the driver front and nothing on the backs.

My brakes feel fine, no lights, no puddles where I park. The rest of the wheel is fine except for these similar shapes sections of the wheel.

Car is a 16 gt3rs, stock wheels, ap racing brake kit.
I'm guessing soemeone else in the session had a fluid leak of some sort but curious what you all think.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:03 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Wheels don't rust. That's definitely not the wheel rusting. What they have happen is if bare aluminum is exposed and metal particles make contact they can get galvanic corrosion, but it wont be rust colored. It'll look like bubbling paint and hte paint will peel off from behind.

Any 'rust' on the wheel would be surface contamination. brake pad rotor dust can etch rotor particles into your wheels and that can rust. It can usually be cleaned off very easily, however I do have track rims where i've had it build up ot the point where it is one with the rim. That stuff wont cause problems as long as there is still paint between it and the aluminum. That's not rotor pad deposits.

That just looks like mud to me that stuck to it. It should clean off with elbow grease or one of a number of wheel cleaners. If it's discolored after which it looks like it is, hand polish.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:25 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 577 Posts

+1. Mix of brake dust and wet track sludge. Any good rim cleaner will take care of it. Mine (brand new wheels- first track day on them) looked just like that after last weekend. Cleaned right up.

Quick Reply: Sudden onset rust/corrosion