Race tire cording question - X post

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 05:06 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Race tire cording question - X post

Last fall at CMP I ran the old Hoosiers on my 993 with stock suspension (it has Eibach sport springs). The car was aligned the week prior to the race by a well known race shop for the purpose of track only use. I then went to VIR and ran the Fall Fling. I corded three of the four tires (not real bad but I could see the thread). They were corded on the inner 1/8th of the tire. The affected tires were the two fronts and the left rear. No sweat, I was glad to finally cord a race tire on the inner edge.
4 months later I return to CMP for the club race weekend with one set of wheels. First thing I did was put on four of the new Hoosiers. Couldn't heat cycle them because of I did not have a chance to get my extra wheels out of storage.
Ran the early practices but not hard as the track was wet/drying. I did run them in the afternoon pretty good and then they obviously sat overnight (not really heat cycling but under the circumstances the best I could do). Ran the sprint race and the practices and enduro on Sunday. Get home and look real close at the tires and notice the left front and left rear are corded. It looks like they delaminated on the outside 1/16th of the tire (about the width of a pencil). They are delaminated on the very edge of the tire. The right side tires have mucho tire left on the outer edge.
My questions are:
1. Why did they cord on the outer edge this time and inner the last time?
2. Should the tires have "peeled" rubber away like they did? Is this a manufacturing issue?
3. If I had spent money on Motons, ape-like springs, sways, spherical bearings, etc like I should have, would that result in better wear, or at least more predictable wear?
4. Should I get the alignment checked again? I am at a loss as to how to stop this crazy rate of tire wear. The inner half of the left tires seem to have little wear.
5. Can/should/would you, flip the outside edge to the inside and use them for a DE?

Bottom line is I am wondering if running on the stock suspension is costing me money on tires. I can't afford $1K a weekend on a set of tires.
Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Quick Reply: Race tire cording question - X post