Sponsored by:

What is '86 Turbo offset specs for wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Driv200mph
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is '86 Turbo offset specs for wheels

If I want to get 17" rims for 1986 944 turbo, do I need to give the stock offset specs to dealer or wheel manufacturer? Or, as I am looking for 10" and 9.5" widths, do I need to convert myself before buying wheels from a dealer or shop????? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stock offsets are 23.3.mm front & rear. But you don't want to get wider rims with those same offsets because too much of the extra width will stick out of the fenders and cause rubbing. You want to increase the offset to place most of the extra width on the inside, like what Porsche did in going from the Turbo to TurboS.

Check out the 17" wheels I have on my 951 RacerX website.

For 17x9.5" & 10" wheels front & rear, I recommend 30mm offset in the front and 30mm offset in the rear. This will position the inner & outer sidewalls perfectly centered between the spots that will rub on the outside & inside.

The front will rub at full-lock on the square tab that holds the brake-lines on the inner fender. So grind off the corner of that tab and bend it forwards a little. The front will also rub on the outside whenver you have more than 30-degrees of steering dialed in and you hit a bump in mid-corner. The stock car does this anyway, so no way to get around it really.

The rears with a 275/40-17 tyre will rub directly ahead of the tyre at the section of the fender that curves inwards. The part right next to the square patch of stone-guard material. You'll also need to roll & grind the fender lip off as well. On the inside, the tyre may rub on the parking-brake cable, so strap that down closer to the spring-plate to get it out of the way. At full-compression, the tyre will also rub on the inner fender about 6-8" head of the shock bolt.

Quick Reply: What is '86 Turbo offset specs for wheels