Sponsored by:

Negative camber for track days

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 03:45 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative camber for track days

As I am starting to track I have been advised to add some negative camber to my wheels . I was told that this will improve cornering as well as adding some more life to the tires. ( I am considering to use the same set of tires for travelling as well as tracking )
I understand that the more negative camber will add cornering performance when cornering but I wonder it's negative effect in a) regular wear of the tire and b) stability in straight line. ( BTW I do not understand how the negative camber can add some more life to my tires )

What is the forum advise ? If positive, what would be the recommended camber for a standard 996TT with P0's assimetricos ?

Old 02-18-2004, 08:49 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

I just had my car corner balanced and aligned. I have -1.5 deg of camber up front and -2.5 deg of camber in the rear. Toe angle, caster and thrust angle are also important factors on how your car will handle and how your tires will wear. I recommend a full alignment, corner balance will also help improve handling especially if you are doing a lot of DE's.

87 911 Carrera strictly track
Old 02-18-2004, 09:13 AM
boqueron
Pro

Any issue regarding tire wear and straight line behaviour ?
Old 02-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Michelin's race tire catalog states that "when driving on a track that requires more hard braking, your car may benefit from less negative camber. THis should improve straight-line braking but will typically be at the expense of a slight loss of ultimate grip in the middle of the corners."

The catalog also states "when it comes to setting the camber, you cannot precisely say in advance what the ideal setup will be - the only way to determine this is to run the car then measure tire pressures and temperatures....a number of factors come into play such as track layout, suspension geometry, aerodynamic donwforce and maximum sped on the track."

The camber issue is a trade-off. If you're cornering hard in the turns, you may be wearing the outside edges of your tires and are not making maximum use of your contact patch because the inner edge of the tire is "lifting" up off of the pavement. By adding "some" negative camber, you can even out the wear and get more life from your tires.

If you add too much neg camber, you run the risk of wearing the inner edges of your tires out, especially if you drive on the street where cornering forces aren't anywhere near as high as on the track.

For my 993, I am running on MPSC's and have 1.1 degrees of neg camber in front, 1.5 degrees in the rear.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:40 AM
boqueron
Pro

Mark, thanks for the advise. I have learned quite a bit !

Quick Reply: Negative camber for track days