Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing tires for a track day

Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 PM
boqueron
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing tires for a track day

I am an occasional track driver ( 10 track days a year ) and about to put new tires to my 996TT. The ones I wear now are in perfect condition for dry use but they would be a bit risky in the wet. It is sad to throw away a set that could perfectly stand some dry track days.

I could buy a second set of wheels and fit them with the used tires, this set would be the choice for tracking days ( an expensive solution unless I find an "unexpensive" set of wheels ).
Or I could fit the old tires on the wheels I have before going to the track and puting back the new set after the track (I don't know how many times can you put a tire in a wheel without harming the tire, not considering each new re-balance of the wheels) .
I could do what I have done up to now: forget all this and use the same set in the track and the street.

Which is the best way to go ?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:26 AM
Chris Campbell
User

10 track days a year is a fairly serious hobby! My vote would be a 2nd set of wheels+tires. I started doing that several years ago and it was a great move. Your street wheels and tires will be preserved, and you can use stickier & stiffer rubber (i.e. DOT-R tires) for the track to gain performance advantage that won't be wasted by street driving.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Tony356993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Chris. Get another set of wheels for the track. With 10 track days, you will eat tires too fast and beat up your good wheels

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: