Sponsored by:

Flip'n tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 01:49 PM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Flip'n tires

I have a quick question if someone can please help. I have a 2009 Cayman S that I purchased in December 2018. I bought this car to do sports car stuff. One of the first things I did was put on a new set of tires. I got a good deal on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. They now have about 2500 miles on them. This includes 2 track days and 1 autocross day. The auto was not a real autocross, but it was "A Taste of Autocross" at California Festival of Speed this past weekend. You think will a taste of autocross is no big deal, but I got to do about 20+ runs and my wife did at least 10 on these tires. Autocross seems very hard on tires. So the instructor I had told me that I could swap my front tires from side to side. But I notice that it looks like they are directional, he said: "yeah, but no big deal". So is it a big deal? I would like to get a little more life out of these tires. They look almost new except for the very outer part of the tread.
This summer I plan to buy a 19" wheel and tire set for road use and use the wheels I have now (18") for track events. I hear good things about Bridgestone RE 71R's, so I think those will be in my future. And adjustable control arms.
Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:07 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't switch directional tires from side to side. They are directional for a reason. What you can do is run to a tire shop and have them flip the tires on the wheels. What was once your left front is now your right front and the inside shoulder is now the outside shoulder. Maintains proper direction, and lets you wear the other shoulder of the tire for a few more miles before replacing them.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

If you were talking only track on dry surface you could switch from side to side on a directional tire...there are numerous RLs who have done this.
Now, for the street I wouldn't do it as the directional pattern of the tire is designed to evacuate water, so under wet conditions you would be pulling water under the tire...not good.
As mentioned by Scooby921, getting them flip on the same wheel is your best option. I do this on my dual duty GT4 with RE71Rs...which by the way is an excellent tire.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Surfndav
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jmartpr
If you were talking only track on dry surface you could switch from side to side on a directional tire...there are numerous RLs who have done this.
Now, for the street I wouldn't do it as the directional pattern of the tire is designed to evacuate water, so under wet conditions you would be pulling water under the tire...not good.
As mentioned by Scooby921, getting them flip on the same wheel is your best option. I do this on my dual duty GT4 with RE71Rs...which by the way is an excellent tire.
My Cayman is my toy I have not driven it in the rain, but I have tracked it 3 times in the last 2 months. I have three more track days scheduled before the end of May. I live in Arizona and I will not be doing any track events over the summer. I will buy a new set over the summer for the following track season. I flipped the tires yesterday. Almost every serious track driver I've talked to mentions the RE71Rs, those will be my next set.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:54 AM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,457 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by Surfndav
My Cayman is my toy I have not driven it in the rain, but I have tracked it 3 times in the last 2 months. I have three more track days scheduled before the end of May. I live in Arizona and I will not be doing any track events over the summer. I will buy a new set over the summer for the following track season. I flipped the tires yesterday. Almost every serious track driver I've talked to mentions the RE71Rs, those will be my next set.
Thanks for your help.
You are welcome...you will like the RE71R.

Quick Reply: Flip'n tires