Sponsored by:

Run Track Wheels w/o TPMC?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:44 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Run Track Wheels w/o TPMC?

Last HPDE of 2018 I hit the front of the corner curb on the track and bent my OEM rim. I had it fixed, but I’m not willing to run on the track with it; not to mention the tire may be damaged internally, too, I am going to purchase 18” wheels and tires (DOT) for HPDE’s - less expensive than 19”. Since they will be for track days only, other than travel to and from, I don’t feel like paying for TPMC units for them. Anyone else do the same?

Matt
Old 01-06-2019, 09:46 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought them for my track wheels. I came from an M3 that didn't have TPMS, and I have to say knowing the tire pressure over the course of the session is awesome. I would definitely recommend. I found OEM TMPS on ebay for a great price.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 PM
jmartpr
Rennlist Member

Received 1,484 Likes on 923 Posts

If you can...use TPMS on the track. It may not be precise but if you have a puncture TPMS will let you know before there's too little air in the tire to keep the shiny side up.....I use it on my GT4 on track days to keep an eye on my pressures all the time as I don't have a crew to take pressure or temps on pit lane.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

I do have a pressure gauge, and check tire pressures after each run. I look at the sidewall markings and adjust pressure as needed. Most of the time my TPMC’s show errors because the pressures are so low. If I did get them, I wonder if they would simply go into error with low pressures and not be worth having.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:47 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an old guy and old school, not a fan of TPMS
I have a track Vette and a street Vette, I was able to electronically delete the TPMS on those 2 cars.
I have 2 SUV's, and as TPMS failed I replaced with regular old fashioned valves and put a piece of electrical tape over the blinking red light on my dash
Have a Caddy CTS, right now have winter tires on and did not reprogram TPMS, each time I start it up I press a button on dash that shuts off TPMS warning
Got a Spec Miata, No ABS, No Stability Management let alone no TPMS
My other few cars did not come with TPMS.
My Cayman's track tires have no TPMS
Each of my cars has a tire guage and I know how to use it
As I said, I'm an old guy with old habits, don't like relying on electronics that can fail or give false readings.
Right now I'm using a computer with XP
I don't like fixing what ain't broke
But that's me, just an old guy set in his ways with a bunch of tire guages and Windows XP
Old 01-25-2019, 07:39 PM
fnel1771
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

TPMS is not needed for track wheels. Usually not accurate enough in any case. I check pressure and wheels after EACH session. It a safety thing for me since I check mor3 than just pressures. My .02$
Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Originally Posted by fnel1771
TPMS is not needed for track wheels. Usually not accurate enough in any case. I check pressure and wheels after EACH session. It a safety thing for me since I check mor3 than just pressures. My .02$
Exactly my thought! I have a good pressure gauge and check pressures after each run, so I’m going with no TPMS on the track set.

Quick Reply: Run Track Wheels w/o TPMC?