Sponsored by:

Tire wont take air - looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 03:19 PM
jsykes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wont take air - looking for advice

So one of the tires on my 2014 Cayman S wont take air. It seems that it wont let air out either as I cant get a pressure reading with any gauge, just from the in-car TPMS readout.

Seems like the valve stem is jammed or damaged, but without being sure how the TPMS works inside, I dont want to remove the valve stem and let out all the air, then find a new valve stem wont let any air back in and being stuck with a flat tire. If its an internal issue and not the stem, dont want to be stuck.

So has anyone else had this issue? Has anyone else found a remedy without having to replace the entire TPMS valve/receiver on the car? Porsche says they dont consider these warranty since they're part of the tire system, so they're "wear items."

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had some input before I take it to the dealer or a shop to have it all torn down and evaluated.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:21 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,479 Likes on 627 Posts

Not exactly your problem, but I removed and replaced the valve core without issue. Did you try that? One day after checking my pressure, I noticed that one tire was leaking. Somehow, I must have damaged the valve core while checking the pressure, although I've never had that happen in a zillion times of checking pressure. Anyway, I have about a dozen valves left over from years of tube changes on my motorcycles so I just unscrewed the old one, installed the new one, and all was good. If you don't have a valve core, you can pick on up for next to nothing at any car parts store. To remove the valve stem as you say, would require removing the tire from the wheel. Perhaps I'm missing something, but just replacing the valve core is a 2 second job with a $2 core removing tool unless you're saying you tried that and it's jammed.

Quick Reply: Tire wont take air - looking for advice