DIY multi-piece wheel refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 01:43 AM
Wild Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY multi-piece wheel refinishing

I've acquired a set of 17" Kinesis K20s that need a bit of sprucing up. Nothing structural, but they have a few nicks and dings and the rims could use a bit of polishing. Also would like to color match the centers to my paint job. Is this something a DIY'er could or should tackle? If so, can you point me to some links or past posts on this subject? I could not find anything in archives.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-29-2004, 12:26 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 71 Likes on 41 Posts

Well I think most of the wheel manufactures do not recommend taking the wheels apart on your own, and i'm all for DIY projects but I would be worried about getting the torques right on something that important....

my suggestion is to polish the wheels as best you can while they are together, not hard to do with the right polish wheels / drill....

As for the color matched centers, if you have some time to kill you can mask of the centers and spray them yourself as long as you do good prep work it can turn out great. I have painted many sets of wheels now, the last set were 3 piece and although it took an hour a wheel to tape off the outter rim they turned out great....

Good luck
Old 02-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,

I suggest you call Kinesis. I don't think it's a big deal to take them apart and reassemble them. They told me the torque when I was going to do change the color of my wheel centers. I'm thinking 18 inch lbs but that's kind of a guess. Depending on the type of wheel you have either a gasket or silicone is used to seal the parts together. My RS Supercup wheels use sealant as I was told.

When I asked about torquing sequence they said it was not important. I would still do 12:00, 6:00, 9:00, 3:00 and work that pattern until all are done.

Edit: Should have said 180 inch pounds.

Last edited by Ron; 02-02-2004 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Wild Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Ian and Ron.

I will be contacting Kinesis to discuss refinishing and changing the offsets. As it turns out I'm not so good at calculating offset. A Kinesis rep actually chimed in on my thread over on the 928 forum to offer his assistance.

Not a wonder Kinesis has such a solid reputation.

Regards,
Bill

Quick Reply: DIY multi-piece wheel refinishing