Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:35 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Heat cycling of new R-compound tires

I also posted this in the 996 forum.

I track regularly at DEs and have multiple events on both Pirelli Rossos and Bridgestone S-03s. I'm running OEM tire sizes on 18's, 225/40 f and 285/30 r.

I plan on springing for a set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the question of heat cycling came up. This is my first experience with R-compounds.

I wanted a DOT legal R-compound tire that I could drive on to the track (~100 miles each way).

What exactly is needed to get the MPSCs up to "speed"? Is heat cycling really necessary or will the drive up with an appropriate cool down period be enough?

Any insight is appreciated...
Old 12-11-2003, 10:36 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

RJ,

I found a presentation given by Michelin engineers when the Sport Cups were introduced in the US. Here is what they say about heat cycling:

"Heat cycled tires may come up to operating temperature slightly quicker than non-heat cycled tires, and on some cars we have noted a marginal improvement in lap times (maybe .1-.2 sec in a 38-40 sec autocross environment) and in tire wear. The improvement is not always obvious."

I've never used them (I use Toyos for longer life) so I can't confirm their claims.

Quick Reply: Heat cycling of new R-compound tires