Notices

PPI recommendation in Reno

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 12:45 PM
mrwonder
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PPI recommendation in Reno

Hi, is there any good independent shop that does PPI for Porsche in Reno, preferably one experienced in modified cars?
Old 03-20-2016, 02:51 AM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used reno rennsport and was left a little disappointed. it was significantly cheaper than two previous PPI's I'd had done in both no & so cal. it was around the holidays and I was fit in which was a great accommodation.. the documents provided post PPI where vague at best and a follow up email requesting more information went unreturned. there was a conversation mid inspection asking if I wanted the oil & belt changed, which I did not authorize and were not done. I was provided the rev count data verbally and it never made it on the provided documents alluded to above.

a good many of my club racing brethren have used the shop's motor building and race prep group and are generally thrilled with the work. I just think they are more of an aircooled shop when it comes to porsches...

what I learned is find a ppi format sheet with the things you need to have looked over and provide that to any shop you use that's not your own. or ask to see their format of what will be looked at prior to the inspection. your own shop could be your best advocate by providing you a through PPI check list. if I had it to do over again I would have done such with reno rennsport. I got what I paid for, but should have made sure I was paying for everything I needed. I did buy the car after getting to know it & the seller some, so it worked out. still waiting to see if that follow up email is ever answered...

jb
Old 03-24-2016, 06:47 PM
Russell Smith
7th Gear

Any more options? Seems like Porsche of Reno / Bill Pearce Motors Inc is there, but no idea how good they are!
Old 03-25-2016, 01:21 AM
plima
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I know Matt Lawrence (sp?) at Reno Rennsport and he is a very capable Porsche mechanic, perhaps more focused on Air Cooled. Jess Lattin at Pearce is an outstanding Factory trained mechanic who knows the more modern cars very well
Old 03-25-2016, 02:16 AM
Russell Smith
7th Gear

Hey Paul!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by plima
I know Matt Lawrence (sp?) at Reno Rennsport and he is a very capable Porsche mechanic, perhaps more focused on Air Cooled. Jess Lattin at Pearce is an outstanding Factory trained mechanic who knows the more modern cars very well

I know mat as well from my PRC club racing days & in fact saw him last weekend at sears point. I did not bring my experience with RRS as he was not involved with the PPI what so ever. mat is more in their race prep motor building group. like I stated above, I have friends that are thrilled with the work done at the shop. also as stated above, I might use them if I was to provide my own PPI format instead of relying on theirs.

the car I ended up with had been maintained by the dealer noted above and looking over all of the maintenance records their service seems very detailed.

Quick Reply: PPI recommendation in Reno