West Coast Road Trip Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 02:46 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts
Default West Coast Road Trip Questions

Hi folks,

I'm planning on taking my 911 on a West Coast road trip from Vancouver, BC down to San Diego, CA.

I know the drive down the I-5 can be a bit boring but I do plan on making a stop in San Francisco to visit some friends/family and then in Los Angeles, followed by San Diego.

Any suggested "fun" routes to take? I've never taken the 101 or PCH the whole way. Also, any particular brands of gas stations to avoid? The goal is to head down in March/April, so I have to do some preliminary planning and get new summer tires. Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 12-23-2014, 10:43 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Not familiar enough with coastal roads in Cali to comment, but as far as gas stations, I find this a useful web site: http://www.toptiergas.com/

T
Old 12-24-2014, 04:31 AM
tradervic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many to list.

Email me at user name at gmail and I'll shoot you over some itineraries.

- Vic

www.facebook.com/PorscheDrive
Old 12-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There are many amazing roads between Vancouver & San Diego - the choices are nearly infinite! Haha - I'll try and post a few of my favorites, but there are so many options - how long do you plan to be on the road? Is this a one week or one month trip?
Dan
Old 12-24-2014, 09:14 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

I've done the Hwy 1/PCH trip a few times. That's really all you need for your travels.

As Comanche_699 notes, lots of good driving roads around your stopping points. Let us know when you're in SF if you're interested in joining up for a drive.

Check out
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 12-24-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
There are many amazing roads between Vancouver & San Diego - the choices are nearly infinite! Haha - I'll try and post a few of my favorites, but there are so many options - how long do you plan to be on the road? Is this a one week or one month trip?
Dan
I'm thinking a week and a bit at the very most. I drove the I-5 down to LA before when I bough the Alfa Romeo Spider in San Fran and boy, that was a boring drive.

Originally Posted by tradervic
Too many to list.

Email me at user name at gmail and I'll shoot you over some itineraries.

- Vic

www.facebook.com/PorscheDrive
E-mail sent!

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I've done the Hwy 1/PCH trip a few times. That's really all you need for your travels.

As Comanche_699 notes, lots of good driving roads around your stopping points. Let us know when you're in SF if you're interested in joining up for a drive.

Check out
http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
I will definitely hit you guys up if the time permits!

How would you describe the drive along PCH? I know it's possible to take it from SF to LA but I understand there are stretches of PCH that are heavily patrolled by CHP and the speed limits are a bit low.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by bcrdukes; 12-24-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:38 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

do not forget to take one of the canyon roads up from PCH when you get to Malibu, drive up to Mulholland Dr., etc. Check out the map of a recent GT3 drive around that area in the 991GT3 forum - that could be a good guide. And if you like Sushi, you might want to stop at Nobu in Malibu, just to recharge. Enjoy.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:26 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
...How would you describe the drive along PCH? I know it's possible to take it from SF to LA but I understand there are stretches of PCH that are heavily patrolled by CHP and the speed limits are a bit low.

Thanks guys!
If you're looking for very high speed roads, neither I5, 101, nor 1 will do, but on 101 and 1 you can go briskly, the roads are curvey, and the scenery is beautiful. Well worth the extra time. Fortunately, never had a CHP encounter on these roads.

If your goal is to get from Vancouver to San Diego, take I5, but if the drive is key, avoid it.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:41 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I have done the So Cal to No Cal a few times. 101 & PCH, that way you can hit places like Carmel, San Simeon and the down south here you can drive from LAX-PCH all the way down to a San Clemente and then eventyally back onto the 5 pass by Camp Pendleton and then get pack on PCH and take it the rest of the way to San Diego. A great trip, a lot to see and even better in a Porsche
Old 12-27-2014, 04:28 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

pkancel,

Thanks for sharing your experience! How's the drive on PCH down to San Diego? I have only ever taken the I-5 down that way and unfortunately, in the rain - an awful experience I tell you! I looked on Google maps and it looks like PCH ends at Camp Pendelton / San Clemente.

I have some family in LA and San Diego I need to visit so they are "must stop" cities for me. I need to plan my vacation in advance in order to maximize travel and fun time. Thanks again!

Mike
Old 12-27-2014, 07:24 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Its a nice ride, albeit much much longer on wends due to increased traffic. Yes rainy days would be horrible but I used to drive to San Diego twice a week when I first moved here and drove that route, PCH each time just to enjoy the coastline and small towns. A lot of stop and go but very relaxing. Yes, at San Onofre-Nuclear Station/Pendelton, slightly before you have to go around by getting back on the 5, then when you get to Oceanside, take the first exit and get back on PCH. From there, nice drive all the way to Diego. Its a very different drive than up North because the drive up North has longer stretches of coastline with no towns, just views where as down South its all town driving but still exceptional. My wife and I and a friend and his wife did that drive from San Diego up to San Fran a few years ago. We were in my wifes Boxster and he was in his 996 cab, other than trying to keep up with him when he decided to blast away, it was an unfortgettable drive. You will enjoy, please post afterwards and let everyone know.

Quick Reply: West Coast Road Trip Questions