Notices

RANT - Look Larson in Tacoma - do they stock ANYTHING?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RANT - Look Larson in Tacoma - do they stock ANYTHING?

ARG!!! Geez. Maybe I'm being unreasonable here.. if so, please reset my expectations.

BUT.. all I needed was a simple frigging air filter for a 1995 993 C2. Noting exotic.. aside from it taking the parts guy 20 minutes (lost somewhere back in the micro-abyss of the parts.. room, thing...) they did not have one in stock! Geez.. it's an air filter... someone people need to replace! Now.. of course I know they need to charge a bit more for overhead and stocking but.. wait.. they DON'T stock it.. well.. regardless, I think asking $42.00 for a paper filter that I just ordered from Pelican ($15.00) and on top of that it would take at least a week to get there (and I'd have to drive the 15 min. across town to pick it up).... is just robbery.

Geez.. I'm frustrated. I've given those cats 3 tries at taking care of me. Besides the slooooooooooooooooooooow service.. there really CRAPPY PPI they did on the 993, and the incredible price of the factory filter... Man.. I'm a little cranky!

Maybe it's just because it's Monday.

Is there a GOOD parts house in Puget Sound? Anywhere? Sometimes I just like to get a project DONE and don't want to wait for something simple like an air filter.

- David

PS. Everything I've bought from them has had to be ordered.. everything.. well.. except the coffee mug, that I broke last week but that's another rant.. oh.. and they are out of stock on those too.. ARG!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 AM
AMG_55
Intermediate

why not get a k&n or something similar
Old 01-23-2007, 02:06 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Not a big fan, but not totally opposed to them either. I just don't like wasting my time cleaning them. For what my time is worth to me I'd rather just toss out a used up paper filter. Besides, at least in the M/C world it's been proven over and over again on dynos that the K&N can cause airflow disturbances that cost power. A LOT of engineering goes into airboxes to get the resonances right... K&N's can toss that all to hell. Then there are ongoing questions about filtration abilities and possible MAF contamination from the oils used on the cotton filter.

Enough reasons, for me, to stick with the stock filter. Plus I just wanted to get the car back together again and wronfuly assumed the dealer would have an air filter for it in stock. $42... sheesh.. that makes motorcycle parts seem resonable.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

My last oil change, they didn't have one of the filters. Now, c'mon, an oil change, how common is that? Incredibly though, they gave me a rental car until it was done.

Prices are outrageous, usually OVER Porsche list price. I just order from Sunset now, saves a lot of aggravation and that raped feeling.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:08 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

That's just lame... plus I feel like they screwed up on my PPI too.. totaly unimpressed... who is the next best choice.. Barrier or?????? Not that I need a dealer for much but I'd like to at least know where I can go when I need to!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
Ray H
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW - Not a fan of K&N from my experience on my 'ol Blazer. But I know lots of folks that use 'em and like 'em.

+1 Sunset
Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

It would depend on what you needed done. For parts, just order from Sunset. If it absolutly can't wait, Barrier is the next closest dealer for you. If it is actual work that you cannot do yourself, you have MaxRPM out your way in Bremerton. Quite a few other's in Seattle and on the East side. If you want specifics, PM. If you don't mind getting dirty but don't have the tools, I've got just about everything.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:36 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Awesome.. THX! I don't mind getting under there and taking stuff apart at all. Note quite ready for an engine drop but I've done a basic spring/shock/sway install on one car, the 993 is next.

BTW. The filters arrived yesterday. $32.00 for a pair of them with shipping from California. Waiting for the DACH exhaust to come in hopefully this week!!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM
mkc4s
Intermediate

I tried to order my 993 from Larson in Tacoma in 1996 and had the worst experience. Did not buy from them anything. It was a place to avoid, and I haven't been there since 1996. The other local dealer Barrier in Bellevue combines high prices with mediocre service. Best way is to order smaller parts by mail, or maybe drive to the dealer in Portland for larger parts.

Quick Reply: RANT - Look Larson in Tacoma - do they stock ANYTHING?