Notices

Safe Hotel Parking OR and CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Safe Hotel Parking OR and CA

I just got my new (to me) 03 996 cab, and I'm taking a road trip from Seattle down to CA to see some friends. I'm worried this car will be a pretty good target in a Hotel Parking lot. The only precaution I can think of is to stay at big name hotels with well lit parking lots. Any other ideas?

THanks,

Kevin
Old 06-15-2006, 11:47 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Pull the fuel pump relay if you are afraid of the car being stolen. If it's break-in you are worried about throw a good locking car cover over it at hotels, you wouldn't be the first to do it.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:52 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Thanks. My primary concern is someone breaking into the vehicle thinking there would be good stuff inside (there won't be). It just seems like it would be a likely target.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:24 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm constantly paranoid about someone breaking in and me not knowing-

my next mod is going to be an alarm with a pager that notifies me if the window is broken.

that's the best thing i can think of- it's like having someone watching your car all the time, really........
Old 06-17-2006, 01:27 AM
BMo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw the hotels and crank out the drive straight through!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:01 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMo
Screw the hotels and crank out the drive straight through!
Good idea. Just take her up to about 120 and set the speed control. Maybe instal the pager before the trip just in case I need a breif nap.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:25 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kevin,

just call ahead or check the hotel websites - many have valet parking, rather than leaving it sitting out front in the lot.

Here's one I've used in SF - GRAND HYATT

Parking:
Grand Hyatt San Francisco is pleased to offer our guests the convenience of indoor valet parking, with in/out privileges.
That would be a good stopping-of point on your way down south - assuming you're coming this far South!

If not - then this is a good example of what to look for under Guest Services on the hotel websites.

Chris.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:14 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Thanks Chris. That sounds like a good plan. I grew up in the Bay Area, so I will be spendign quite a bit of time in SF and the peninsula. I then head down to Carmel.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:56 AM
Charley B
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last time I traveled from Seattle to Los Angeles I drove straight through. I didn't plan it that way, I just never found a good time and place to stop. I think I was driving an '85 T-Bird so it certainly wasn't the car that kept me wanting to drive. I did let my girlfriend drive at one point during the nite but she started to fall asleep at the wheel after about ten minutes so it was me and the road after that.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving expensive cars cross country always worries me. I do try to stay at motels that are a little more expensive for the truckers. I try to get a room where I can see my car out the window. I also try to find a motel where you can park right outside the door to the room. I like Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn's since they sometimes give me the room I want if I ask.

Also carry a can of Grizzly Mace. Won't kill em but they will wish you did.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

You use the repellent and might as well sign the car over to the thief. Cause that’s how much the lawsuit will cost you or maybe even more.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:59 PM
RennenFlamme
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
You use the repellent and might as well sign the car over to the thief. Cause that’s how much the lawsuit will cost you or maybe even more.
Does it really work like that? Sad to see some of these cases. I think your trip is over but you could stay at a Bed and Breakfast, i have one here in Oregon..
Old 09-16-2006, 04:01 PM
kmayer
Intermediate

Trip is over. No problem aside from a rock chip or two that I'll need to touch up. I stayed at the Hiton in Eurgen that had underground and relativly secure parking. Also the portola plaza in Monterey had secure parking. The Pine Inn in Carmel did not have secure parking, but no problems. I think there are so many nice cars there, you're pretty safe.

Quick Reply: Safe Hotel Parking OR and CA