Notices

Canyon Runs ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 10:42 AM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 416 Posts
Default Canyon Runs ??

The health is holding up, so beginning to optimistically think about the annual summer road trip.

I have been reading the canyon run posts here since I found Rennlist.

So the thought is to drive the coast from San Diego to WA. What are the canyon runs that are “must drive”?

Probably my last opportunity, so do not want to miss any:-)

Thanks in advance.

Tail of the Dragon

Last edited by rwbern; 01-26-2024 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:17 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 145 Posts

Hi @rwbern , I lived in the Bay Area for most of my life and then moved up to Seattle in ~2020. While my suggestions below may not qualify as "canyon runs" or challenging twisties, they're my favorite drives so TIFWIW. I'll focus mostly on the CA central coast, Bay Area and just a little on WA (the pandemic curtailed us from driving around too much). I've only taken I5 through Oregon so I know zilch about the interesting roads there. I'm not certain how familiar you are with the west coast so apologies if you already know some of this.

Best of luck with your road trip!

First off
Two ways to get from Southern CA to Central Coast / Bay Area: Interstate 5 or Hwy 101. You can definitely go much faster on 5 but the scenery is very boring (flat inland), you have more jerk drivers on the road and having to deal with lots of commercial trucks. Hwy 101 has more courteous drivers and not as boring (it goes along the coast half of the time). I prefer 101 since it's less stressful and more interesting things to see but it will add an hour or so to the drive vs. I5.

Central Coast
  • Highway 1 between Cambria and Monterey. Lots and lots of twisties around Big Sur. Incredible views along the coast. You can stop by Hearst Castle along the way. And of course, the famous Bixby Creek Bridge south of Carmel. If you're coming up 101 from Southern CA, you can cut across to Cambria / Hwy 1 at Atascadero / Paso Robles. NOTE: In recent years there's been rock slides on Hwy 1 in Big Sur so make sure to check out the latest CalTrans updates on road conditions.
  • 17 Mile Drive at Pebble Beach. Mansions, Pebble Beach golf course, beautiful vistas for picture taking.
  • Carmel Valley Road
  • Monterey Salinas Highway 68 (between these two cities). Stop by Tarpy's Roadhouse for a meal, drive by Laguna Seca
  • You can continue north via Hwy 1 up to Santa Cruz or take 101 up to San Jose
Bay Area / Wine Country
  • Highway 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose - very curvy highway, scene of many, many car accidents. When it's not crowded with beach traffic, it can be fun to drive (don't get reckless of course). Plus California Highway Patrol (CHP) have traps along the highway due to all the accidents
  • Highway 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay - Lovely highway - one of my favorite drives. Goes by many surfing beaches. Famous for Devil's Slide but they've built a tunnel through it now.
  • Skyline Blvd (Route 35) between Los Gatos and Half Moon Bay / Route 92. You're basically driving along a ridgeline that separates the coast from the Bay Area. Nice drive through the trees.
  • Highway 101 across the Golden Gate Bridge of course
  • Lucas Valley Road (Marin county) between 101 and Hwy 1. I lived off Lucas Valley Road - it's nice drive. It gets extremely twisty in a very short span before Big Rock (lots of trucks get stuck here). You can drive by George Lucas' Skywalker Ranch property. Drive through Nicasio and by the reservoir. Beautiful rolling hills up there. You'll end up at Point Reyes Station / Highway 1. Take Hwy 1 north up to Marshall. If you want twisty roads, you'll get it here. Traffic can be slow due to tourists plus be careful of bicyclists since it's narrow one lane road each direction. Stop by Nick's Cove (near Marshall) for a meal. Take Tomales Petaluma Rd back to get back on 101
  • Mark West Springs Road between Santa Rosa / Hwy 101 and Calistoga - cuts through a canyon. Nice short drive to get to Napa Valley
  • Silverado Trail in Napa Valley - Hwy 29 gets bottle necked (no pun intended) due to all the wineries so locals / others in the know take Silverado Trail. It's snakes along the hills so it's a bit interesting more interesting to drive versus Hwy 29 and less traffic.
  • Hwy 29 - The main highway through Napa Valley with lots of wineries on both sides. Straight road, can get lots of traffic during summer. Stop by St. Helena for Gotts hamburgers.
  • Route 128 / Alexander Valley Road - Between Calistoga and Healdsburg. Great drive through vineyards, goes through some valleys. Gives you a good flavor of Napa Valley. Stop by Healdsburg and have lunch at Barn Diva or Willi's Seafood & Raw Bar. Pick up ice cream at Noble Folk. ( Did you know the original "Scream" movie was partly filmed in Healdsburg? ).
  • If you plan to go to Napa, get an early start especially during the summer. Traffic can get backed up if you don't start until late morning / early afternoon. I ** really ** like Healdsburg and St. Helena.
Washington
  • Hwy 11 Chuckanut Drive - starts (or ends) on a straight highway through farmland and then becomes a curvy highway along the coast / trees. If you start off in Bellingham and then take Chuckanut Dr south to La Conner, you end up going through Farm Market Rd. Even though Farm Market Rd is straight, it's fun - your stereotypical straight highway through farmland. Stop by Nell Thorn in La Conner for a meal...
  • Route 202 between Snoqualmie Falls and Redmond. Nice drive through a valley, especially if you start off at the postcard worthy Snoqualmie Falls. Stop by Salish Lodge & Spa to get that "Twin Peaks" shot of the 'Great Northern Lodge' above the falls.
  • Drive up to Mt. Rainier

Originally Posted by rwbern
The health is holding up, so beginning to optimistically think about the annual summer road trip.

I have been reading the canyon run posts here since I found Rennlist.

So the thought is to drive the coast from San Diego to WA. What are the canyon runs that are “must drive”?

Probably my last opportunity, so do not want to miss any:-)

Thanks in advance.

Tail of the Dragon

Last edited by Marin Vizsla; 02-01-2024 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 05:55 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

so many of the greatest roads are in CA
The following users liked this post:
Marin Vizsla (02-01-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 06:07 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much Marin. Looking forward to heading west. WA & will be on the list also. Got a little taste last year at Mt Rainer.

BMW - “so many of the greatest roads are in CA” - you keeping the a secret? I’ll be happy with your top 3!

Thanks all,
Bob
Old 02-01-2024, 07:05 PM
Marin Vizsla
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 145 Posts

Welcome. Thanks for reminding me about the drive up to Mt. Rainier. I've edited my posted to include it!
Old 02-02-2024, 09:59 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

My apologies, thought I had replied. See that I hadn't. Search here for

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 02-02-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:37 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 516 Likes on 330 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html
The following users liked this post:
vg247 (03-10-2024)
Old 02-02-2024, 12:10 PM
El_Tigre
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Definitely take 101 up the Oregon coast. I5 through Oregon is a seriously dreadful drive.

Washington doesn't quite have the canyons that California does. Notable favorites are Chuckanut drive, Hurricane Ridge, Hwy 20 loop, and Mt Rainer. Note that Mt. Rainier is moving to a reservation based system this summer so its going to require a little planning to get into the park. Also don't forget national park cops don't mess around and don't give out warnings
Old 02-02-2024, 07:48 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

The parks have been overcrowded for some time & only getting worse. In many, the traffic is in packs. Driving Rainer last year, I would pull over, relax a while until the next group appeared in the rear view. Gave me a few 5 - 10 minute traffic free, fun sprints.:-) Will probably skip it this trip for something new.
Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply: Canyon Runs ??