Notices

Passing smog in CA (GT4)

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:48 PM
Dirtygrid
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MVEED3
What's the verdict on compliant GT4s passing a regular (no special sauce guys) smog in Cali? My car never had a tune and is running the factory exhaust manifolds so OE cats are intact. I was turned away from 3 smog shops in San Diego. The first two shops flat out said they don't do 981 or later since they can't complete the visual on the top of the motor. Third shop said to bring my car to the dealer to remove carpet and engine cover before bringing it back to complete the smog.

I can pull the carpet and top clamshell in my garage if necessary. I just want to have the correct bi-annual Cali requirement. This seems like a nightmare for GT4RS owners when the initial smog pops.
huh, the first place I went to passed me no problem. Try “Quick Smog” in PB on Garnet
The following users liked this post:
MVEED3 (Today)
Old Today, 03:37 PM
MVEED3
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Luck was not on my side for the initial attempts. A long-time buddy filled me in on a local shop familiar with Porsches. They use an inspection mirror from the bottom so no top clamshell removal required. The car passed as I suspected.

Quick Reply: Passing smog in CA (GT4)