Notices

Window Tint Percentage in CA?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 07:30 PM
hkarthik
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tint Percentage in CA?

Getting tint done on my car soon after delivery and I'm looking at getting the windows tinted here in CA.

In the spirit of the front plates in CA thread, I'm curious what people's experience is with window tint levels in CA. Legal limit on front windows is 70% VLT with no limit in the back or rear.

Have folks been getting fix-it tickets for illegal tint? With the excessive heat and sun lately, I'm surprised the limits are so high here. In the next states over like Nevada, 35% VLT is the limit.
Old 09-11-2021, 08:06 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Allegedly you only really get that when you get pulled over for something else. It's like the free-by $50 correctable box, like front plate, you didn't have your current insurance card, as yours just expired and they haven't sent you the new one, though the cop can see it in the computer. They love your $ here, and will do everything to TAKE it
The following users liked this post:
hkarthik (09-11-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:34 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 609 Likes on 385 Posts

Years ago (sometime in the 90's) I sold a car that had tinted front windows. About a week later I picked the car up to get it smogged as I had agreed to with the buyer and of course got pulled over by a cop because of tinted windows. I told the cop I no longer owned the car and even showed him the signed bill of sale and the smog certificate but he was a ***** and didn't care and wrote a fix it ticket anyway. Told the buyer about it and the buyer told me to take a hike, no way he was going to let me remove the tint on his vehicle. Went to court and explained all that to the judge and the Jude said too bad and imposed a fine of I think around $800-900 because I didn't correct it. I have removed the tint from every car I have owned that came with it since.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:56 PM
Rare9
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

I didn't tint my 992 but previous cars I always got 50% tint. It's good enough for the sun but not high for police to specifically notice. Never had an issue. But yeah police do indeed (fix-it) ticket for Tint, mostly when they stop you for something else.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:19 PM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sure this depends on the city but in west LA, I've gotten easily 25+ front license plate tickets over the last decade (I'd say 5 while driving, the rest parked). Zero tickets for illegal tint. I tint front windows @ 70% but not the windshield.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Percentage in CA?